Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Quote from: oldrottenhead on January 11, 2010, 04:49:02 PMnaw analogue anologue

I've got the analogue analogue model (and it's sweet), but I'd give a midi stylo a try if there ever was such a beast.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

tony

Quote from: cuthbert on January 11, 2010, 05:22:23 PMI'd give a midi stylo a try if there ever was such a beast.

You can use a Kaosillator like a stylophone but the closest is the Roland PMA-5.  It has a keyboard screen layout like the stylophone and it has midi.  They don't make them anymore but they are around.

cuthbert

Quote from: tony on January 11, 2010, 05:52:10 PMYou can use a Kaosillator like a stylophone but the closest is the Roland PMA-5.  It has a keyboard screen layout like the stylophone and it has midi.

Now that sounds interesting...do you have a PMA-5? I wonder has it got midi out, and can the stylus thingy drive an external synth?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

tony

Quote from: cuthbert on January 11, 2010, 06:16:19 PM
Quote from: tony on January 11, 2010, 05:52:10 PMYou can use a Kaosillator like a stylophone but the closest is the Roland PMA-5.  It has a keyboard screen layout like the stylophone and it has midi.

Now that sounds interesting...do you have a PMA-5? I wonder has it got midi out, and can the stylus thingy drive an external synth?

I have one but I don't use it to drive an external synth.  It has midi in and out.  You can use the stylus to activate the sound module inside the box (128 midi instruments, rhythm patterns, etc.) or you can connect a midi keyboard and use the keyboard to play it.

Why would you want to drive an external synth?  What would that do?  I'm not questioning your motives but I'm not sure if I get what you are asking.

Last week I programmed a backing track in the PMA-5 and recorded it into the MBR and then used the stylus to play synth sounds onto another track.  That was fun for a while.

I tend to use mine as a sound module because I'm not really a synth person but they are a lot of fun and very useful.

tafka

Quote from: tony on January 11, 2010, 04:07:23 PM
Quote from: tafka on January 11, 2010, 03:51:55 PMits called a "KORG M50" the other things are just platic toys.

TJ

At 1500 euros (current euro price) you have just recommended something that is ten times his budget.
10 times mine too but i still got one
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

Groundy

Quote from: tafka on January 12, 2010, 12:39:38 AM
Quote from: tony on January 11, 2010, 04:07:23 PM
Quote from: tafka on January 11, 2010, 03:51:55 PMits called a "KORG M50" the other things are just platic toys.

TJ

At 1500 euros (current euro price) you have just recommended something that is ten times his budget.
10 times mine too but i still got one

Like your style TJ,    Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

cuthbert

Quote from: tony on January 11, 2010, 08:52:39 PMWhy would you want to drive an external synth?  What would that do?  I'm not questioning your motives but I'm not sure if I get what you are asking.

I'm interested in other types of midi controllers, as opposed to the usual keyboard interface (not that I have a problem with keys), but that's what I was getting at when I mentioned a midi stylophone earlier.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

tony

Quote from: cuthbert on January 12, 2010, 08:28:21 AM
Quote from: tony on January 11, 2010, 08:52:39 PMWhy would you want to drive an external synth?  What would that do?  I'm not questioning your motives but I'm not sure if I get what you are asking.

I'm interested in other types of midi controllers, as opposed to the usual keyboard interface (not that I have a problem with keys), but that's what I was getting at when I mentioned a midi stylophone earlier.

I understand now, sorry.  I have never used it to drive another synth because it is a synth itself.  It has 8 recordable tracks (4 melody/4 harmony but you can play with that) so you can layer things in the PMA-5, say a backing track, and then fool around over the top of it.  There's a lot of rhythm tracks built in with Intro, Pattern 1, fill 1, Pattern 2, fill 2, Ending for each pattern.  It's very versatile.

I really don't know how it would go as a controller but I think you would get something out of it.

I'm not crazy about what this guy is doing with it but it looks like he's using it to control his sampler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAIfyRj_jig