Is it tacky to give your own music as a holiday gift?

Started by Blooby, December 12, 2009, 10:50:31 AM

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tony W on December 12, 2009, 11:52:17 PMHere goes... If i were to receive music created by a loved one,which included the members here, I would cry.
now there is a sight you don't see every day!!! 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

lg

I agree with Flash.... It is Damn tacky!
But, depending on who is the recipient, it can be a nice gift.
Go for it!

LG

nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Vanncad

QuoteOnly much better, its Blooby Jam.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I agree with BB and the rest. A homemade gift truly is something special.

My brother has a 4-hour drive to make it down for Christmas, so I was going to give him a burned CD of the tunes I have posted here. I figure he can listen to it on the drive back home.

He hasn't heard me play in probably 15 years, so I think he will be surprised.

I recorded a 4-song Christmas medly with my daughters last year and burned it to CD for my wife. She listens to it everytime she drives to work and has requested another one this year!

Go for it Blooby - I think it's a great idea.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

OsCKilO

I would.....

But Liz would kill me if I gave her a CD with my music on.........

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

T.C. Elliott

My father would love it. My mother would love it. My sister in law would wrinkle up her nose and lie to me saying she appreciated it or some such.
I wrote and recorded a song for valentine's day 2008. I printed the lyric out on card stock in a script and framed it and then gave it all to my wife. She loved it. The recording wasn't the best but it worked well enough.
If you are a songwriter (and it's getting close to the big day) then write a song about the holiday or about friends and family.. it can be short or whatever. Include it on the disc and then you have a personalized gift.
Just a thought.

Piggie
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

Bringing this thread back in time for Christmas 2010.

I am thinking about doing this this year.  Burn all my Lobster man/boy songs and maybe a few other choice songs onto a disk and give them out to family and friends for Christmas.  Should go over alright eh?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Vanncad

I say go for it BB!

I did this last year (see previous comment on pg. 1). I gave some CDs to friends and family. Some like it, others haven't even listened to it.

It takes courage to put your music out there. Especially if you are uncomfortable with your playing/singing/quality of recording, etc. It's a part of yourself, and it's almost like letting someone read your diary (uh - not that I have a diary or aythng... ::)).

One thing you have to remember is - you are your harshest critic! Most people would be amazed that you can even do such a thing as create your own CD!

Just make sure you use a LightScribe burner to label it, and I would say only copy about 10 (or less) songs to the CD. Hell - make a cool cover too, and it will really look good!

I think it's a great idea!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Oldrottenhead

be careful tho, i gave my mom a copy of the met norway cd with "hey ho" the obscene pirate song on it oops!
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Quote from: oldrottenhead on November 17, 2010, 12:00:37 PMbe careful tho, i gave my mom a copy of the met norway cd with "hey ho" the obscene pirate song on it oops!
:D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........