pickup

Started by FuzzFace, December 10, 2009, 01:43:52 PM

FuzzFace

Someone bought me a pickup for my accoustic guitar.  It's the Dean Markley jobbie:

http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2482

Anyway I wired it up and plugged it into the BR, however it only works if I put it through the distortion pedal first.

Is there some intermediary device I need in order to get a clean sound using the pickup?

(I know people on here swear by the built-in mic on the BR... I just want to give this thing a whirl).

Thanks and rock on!

FuzzFace

OsCKilO

I have a Similar one.....

Have you tried turning the plug-in power on?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

dwardzala

In looking at Reviews from Musician's Friend it looks like low output is pretty common with that type of pick up.  They didn't have your model but they did have a single coil pick up.  You might need a pre-amp or you might want to move the pole pieces in your pick-up closer to the strings.  If they are bottomed out, that might be the cause of the low output.
Dave

BR-600

64Guitars

You can make up plenty of gain in the insert effects. For example, I'd try switching to the Mic effects bank and turn off everything except the 4-band equalizer. Then increase the equalizer's Level parameter for up to 20dB gain. You might also want to adjust other EQ parameters while you're there to enhance the sound of your acoustic guitar. See page 68 of the Micro BR manual (I assume you're using a Micro BR - you didn't say).

Also, you should be using the Guitar input on the BR rather than Mic or Line. And don't forget to adjust the input sensitivity as high as possible without making the OVER indicator light.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W