Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveB

If/when the site is re-vamped, are all Members returned to ground zero re posts? i.e. Zero posts.

Merely asking, because if money is to be exchanged for Membership, then some will feel that a level-playing-field/fresh-start-for-all is the fairest way to start the new site.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Pedro

I'm sorry for those of you who have spent money, especially you Tony, with your cool forum in which the only purpose was to backup this community. I made a bad move, I think this idea is what I should have suggested in the first place, like you said. But I want to make things better now and easier to use now and I believe in this model. Like I said, for those that have an external offsite backup you can still use it with no limitations except the fact that those songs will not be indexed on the playlist.

Flash Harry

Hi Pedro, I missed this thread - probably because I'm too busy and I don't get to read stuff on here like I used to.

I just want to let you know that this is the only board that I subscribe to. I have tried the Bass guitar boards, synth boards and I have even used boards for work purposes. This is the only one that I keep coming back to time and time again.

It's the people. I feel that I know the people who post here, some very well, some less so, but I feel that I can post anything and have serious comments back from people like me, who love to play and listen to music. It's not about the recording medium, although like many have said, it is what brought us here in the first place, it's about the community.

If this board became impersonal I would be very disappointed indeed. I can understand why you would like to expand it and if it could be done without losing that friendly atmosphere and the collection of lovely, quirky, funny people that you have attracted I would continue to support it.

Change is always a worrying thing. Could I make a suggestion? Keep this board and start a new one, making links across the two?

MBR changed my life, I started playing live again after 30 years of not doing so. I have remembered how it feels to play music with other people, I have met new friends and I have you and this community to thank for that. So this is my impassioned plea, please please please keep the atmosphere. I would rather post my music elsewhere as we do at the moment than see what you have created become diminished.

Microrecorders was an inspired site, bossbr.net was a good upgrade. It ain't broke in my opinion. I don't think it needs fixing.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tony W

pedro you ultimately created this community, the love for each other here is strong. I do trust your judgement on this issue, and I am onboard for whatever the future brings. Flash, great post

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I'm confused... worried and confused. I know nothing can last forever, but it feels like the golden age has passed, and that the empire is starting to crumble. Maybe it's just because I've read SteveG's post (which totally depressed and left me in disbelief), or maybe it's because I'm a 'glass half empty' depressive. Either way, I worry for how this will all turn out and who will be left when the dust settles.

I always thought Boss were somehow in the shadows behind this site. As a marketer, I know the value of having a concentrated super-user group and brand evangelists gathered in one place. This forum has big value to them if they recognise that we're the ones who can shift units and make everyone brand-loyal. So I'm surprised that they don't have an interest / financial investment to make to keep this place ticking over. Either that, or they've lost whatever interest they had in us. I was also worried by Pedro's comments that digital recording is on the wane. Where did that bit of news come from?! As far as I can see, digital recorders will just get better and more advanced, and us users will just get more for our money. But are we going to stop recording? I very much doubt it.

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.

Justin_Case

I just want to say thanks to involved for such a great " sand box " to play in.

This board is very well run and in addition to the tech knowledge available, a great community of people who truly seem to appreciate friendly support of the varied levels of musicians expressing themselves.

Clearly there is a divide between the " tech " aspects with this community and the " artist " side, and it is the artist side where the community lies. From a logistical standpoint, the " BR " series of recorders will have a limited lifetime of usage, as most any other piece of technology - Walkman's, VHS, Tube Teles, all come to mind in this respect. 

The BRs are recording appliances and someday will be replaced with other devices.  With this in mind, albeit that perhaps tech knowledge may be what drew us here at first, its the community that keeps us coming back. With this in mind I believe the while the area of tech knowledge should still be there, support should revolve more around the reason we all have recorders - the end result - music.

A model that I think would have viability would be a HUB and Spoke Model.  The Hub being a " Listening Room " where regardless of the method to record, all would be able to post /  participate.  The Spokes would be more to support the tech aspect of each of the recorders, for that matter it would not have to be just Boss / Roland products that have a dedicated section.

I've seen other boards hit this type of impasse - at what point is does running a board move past being a passion / hobby to being at the very least economic viable.  If there is anything that gets my blood pressure up its when I hear " They Should do XYZ " from people who don't contribute to a cause. 

I refrained from posting my views initially to allow others viewpoints to be heard.  I'm a true believer that you need to support the things you want to be well done.  Be it a subscription or the addition of banner type advertisement, or a combination of there or other ways to keep the quality of the board and the community, I would gladly support it.

Again, thanks to all who provide, support and contribute to a great place.

Pedro

Thanks for the feedback.

Although I understand why, I didn't expect this feedback, especially with the new features I posted before. But I can't hide that I strongly believe that this is going to work. Think about the great music and people we are losing by limiting the participation users with digital recorders.

It's not like anything is wrong with our community, it's the completely way around, everything is great and that is the reason we should open our community to everyone.

Let's try this way:

At the end of today's day, Sunday, 14th December, the website will be down and I will launch the new BETA website portal, so that you can test it. If it is really not pleasing, I will roll back to the original version. What do you think?

SteveB

ADM - Is that GMT or another time-zone designation?
Good luck by the way.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon