My newest idea!

Started by Pedro, December 10, 2009, 11:56:56 AM

Pedro

Last night I was listening to some inspiring music and had an idea regarding our community:

What if we let go of the Boss BR brand and become a fully featured Music/Songwriting community?

Let's face it, digital multitrack recorders are losing popularity fast and the truth is that the greatest attraction of our community is and always was the Post Your MP3 board, not the actual recorders. What I understand from this is that people want to share their music regardless of the recording medium and that this is in fact the true purpose of our community: to share music.

Recently I've disallowed the uploading of MP3 to the forum because of hosting issues. I choose a limiting approach when in fact I should have choosen the opposite approach. If the idea was to work, I could upgrade the server to a VPS and allow for the uploading once again.

We would take what exist and just expand it, no posts would be deleted or music lost. New boards would be added and old ones merged.

It would be the biggest step taken since the beggining of this community.

What do you think?

Oldrottenhead

i think its a good idea too but just remember i think the thing that brought the majority of people here was to help them get to grips with their particular recorder, thats certainly how i found this site. so keep a help and advice part to the forum.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveB

ADM - Your Forum, Thy Will Be Done.

Er, but how come we have a new thread every couple of weeks with Members salivating about the next generation of BRs etc?

Good point from ORH.

Shall we prepare to delete our Soundclick etc accounts?
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Tangled Wires

Quote from: oldrottenhead on December 10, 2009, 12:57:29 PMi think its a good idea too but just remember i think the thing that brought the majority of people here was to help them get to grips with their particular recorder, thats certainly how i found this site. so keep a help and advice part to the forum.

I'd second that Jim

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

I'll third that  ;D  - being able to learn the recorders from fellow users is what brought me here.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ted

Quote from: andrewh on December 10, 2009, 01:06:07 PM
Quote from: oldrottenhead on December 10, 2009, 12:57:29 PMi think its a good idea too but just remember i think the thing that brought the majority of people here was to help them get to grips with their particular recorder, thats certainly how i found this site. so keep a help and advice part to the forum.

I'd second that Jim

Me too.

I'm pretty lukewarm on the idea.  There already are collaboration, songwriting, music communities that are well funded.

I've had many ideas and wishes for this community, but I've always felt that the model for improvement is to keep the orbit around the BR line until we have developed a solid model, then expand based on demand.  The "Post your MP3" satellite is a pretty dominant, affecting the tides and weather, and honestly we still don't have a user-friendly solution to facilitate that.

Quote from: admin on December 10, 2009, 11:56:56 AMLet's face it, digital multitrack recorders are losing popularity fast...

Really?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

upsetminded

I like the idea, considering you keep the old posts especially the sticky threads that originally brought most of us to the site. 

Then, the helpful how-to's and tips and tricks are there for the multi-track recorders. 

I frequent other boards to hear other peoples music and get tips on song writing from specific song writing boards or vocal tips from vocalist boards.

Can you imagine the possibilities if we got, for instance, the vocalist expertise from other boards that we all seem to request help with from time to time.  I know I could use it.
I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor

Dmann

I really like this Idea, however IMO there is one very important thing to remember though, I would of probably never even found this site a year ago if I had not purchased a MicroBR and went looking for MicroBR specific user forums.

In that time it's changed a lot around here, and the community has grown massively, and I thinnk it's only due to the fact that most others found this site because they've bought a BR recorder and like myself went looking for "more" on the internet.

Anyways, no matter what I'll always visit this site, I love this community, you all are the best dang community on the internet IMO.

Tony W

Has the digital multi-track recorders lost popularity? I see new faces here every time I log on. lukewarm would be an upgrade from where I sit. I like the forum as is. It is a good community, a very peaceful place.

Expand this out, and I for one will never be able to keep up with people's music. I have sorely lacked as of late, and its nearly impossible to give feedback on people's posts as is, because there are so many.

I might be one of the few, but I like this site as it stands.  

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR