Side Swiped

Started by Farmjazz, June 29, 2008, 03:31:48 PM

Oldrottenhead

Quoteove that chorus. What does Side Swiped means?
it means a critical or insulting remark made in passing or a gibe.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pedro

I see, thanks!

This is very good work, I like it a lot.

Farmjazz

Actually, I originally named it Side Swiped as in the literal sense of a car glancing off the side of another car in motion. Unpredictable, dangerous, exciting action. Probably one of the reasons people watch
auto racing.

But now it means exactly what oldrottenhead says:

Quoteit means a critical or insulting remark made in passing or a gibe.

Oldrottenhead

your definition is correct too, i believe the original usage of the word comes from pirates glancing their ship alongside another before attacking with their sword's , the pirates coming onboard sideways had to sideswipe with their cutlass.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

thanks for the thunder hal but i just cant get it to fit
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Farmjazz

Quotethanks for the thunder hal but i just cant get it to fit

You may have to find a section you want and slide, (copy and move), it to the desired spot. The Mp3 I sent you is extra long, I recorded about 8 minutes of thunder that morning, so you can cut & paste. I did that for the final hit of Side Swiped, but up 'til then it sounded wherever I originally recorded it. I then brought the song into Audacity and faded out after the final rumble. A little work, but not too bad.

I'm marching in the 4th of July parade later today, playing alto Sax. In all this smoke it will be miserable. Now, that's work!

Oldrottenhead

hi i imported it into cubase sx and fiddled about for a while even tried reversing it, messing about with volume it was either too quiet or too loud just couldn't get it to sit right  i tried all the different cracks of thunder and none of them enhanced the song, but it was worth a try.
and happy 4th of july
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

If you want to try some different thunder samples, check out these sites:

http://www.findsounds.com/

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

http://www.sampleswap.org/filebrowser-new.php

Just type "thunder" into the search box, or any other term you care to search for. These sites have all kinds of effects you can use to add atmosphere to your songs when appropriate.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Farmjazz

Thanks, Sixty Four. I'll be be needing some kitty cat sounds for a song I'm writing called "Kitty Up." Its about cats tearing up the house when they're romping around and chasing each other. It'll be kind of a spoof on "Ghost Riders in the Sand."

So, if you buy another guitar, are going to change your moniker to 65 Guitars?

64Guitars

Quote from: Farmjazz on July 27, 2008, 09:53:59 AMThanks, Sixty Four.

So, if you buy another guitar, are going to change your moniker to 65 Guitars?

Actually, I only have four guitars and a bass. When I first got my BR-864 several years ago, I searched the web for information about it. I soon found the Yahoo BR-864 group but, at that time, you had to become a member before you could read the messages. I really hate how every website I visit seems to want me to sign up before I can do anything. In frustration, I just chose the first user name that popped into my head, taking the '64' from BR-864 and 'guitars' (obviously) from the fact that I'm a guitar player. At that time, I was only interested in reading messages to learn more about my new BR-864 so I didn't really care what my user name was. Had I known I would become a frequent poster, I would have put more thought into it. When I joined this (microrecorders.org) forum, I could have chosen a different username but I figured that a lot of people already know me as 64Guitars from the Yahoo groups and my website so I decided to stick with that name to avoid the confusion of multiple web personas.

You're not the first person to wonder if my username indicates the number of guitars I own and I'm sure you won't be the last. Interestingly, one person in the BossBr group wondered if I had a passion for guitars made in 1964 (ie: '64 Guitars). While I think that some of the guitars made in the sixties were great (I love my 1962 Gibson EB0 bass), the year 1964 doesn't hold any special significance for me.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website