Dark/ambient/atmospheric synth and dubby delayed drums - da chicka

Started by begacjj, December 03, 2009, 05:01:07 PM

begacjj

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

Ok guys this is a drum track that I ran through my space echo and then laid down a synth track over it.  The synth is more of an dark/atmospheric/ambient piece so there is plenty of room for guitar/bass/vocals or maybe even some drum fills?  Anyways, this track is 30 minutes long so obviously feel free to use whatever part you want.  It has a very nice section around 10-12 minutes in.  You can download it here:

Warning huge MP3 file but should only take a few minutes to download on a high speed connection.

http://www.4shared.com/file/165007486/ecad2d2b/da_chicka.html

begacjj
www.myspace.com/echosofinfiniti

Bluesberry

I am loving your jam here, very nice.  What are you using for a synth?  I can hear all kinds of things listening to this, kinda like when you go for a walk in the fog and you see all sorts of stuff that isn't really there.  I applaud your stamina to go this long.  It sounds flipping great.  I hear a huge freak out guitar on top of this and the whole thing would sound like early Pink Floyd kinda.  Your drums sound really good too. The synth sounds analog.  I love this!!! I may download this and play around with my guitar some and see what comes of it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

begacjj

Hey thanks Bluesberry!  I love to make music that really has a feeling of motion with lots of texture, to me the texture and tone is the most important.  I am using a Korg Micro Korg for my synth.  It isn't analog but when I run it through my Roland RE-301 Chorus echo tape delay it makes it sound very analog, I also ran my zoom drum machine through the space echo.  The space echo is really the secret ingredient it just warms up anything you feed it no matter how digital your source is and then it adds it's own space echo magic to it.  Yes, a huge guitar freakout would be great, hopefully you or somebody else can provide that as I would love to hear it. I do love older Pink Floyd and their extensive use of tape delay and reverb has probably been burned into my subconsciousness.  Without Pink Floyd music rock music would not be what it is today.

BarrettR

Yeah, that's good! I hope some others will try to do something with this too, it could support a lot of different directions. I'm downloading, we'll see what happens... Thanks Chris!

begacjj

Yes, I am excited to see what others do with this.  I have never done a collaboration before.  When I recorded this I purposely played the synth in a manner to leave room for adding guitar.  The problem is I just can't find any guitar sim patches on my BR-600 that I like.  I like playing through my old tube amps and the amp sims are just not the same for the type of music I play.  I like to use lots of feedback etc that doesn't really work with amp sims.  I also like to use my effects and they don't seem to play nicely with the amp sims. I have tried in the past to mic my tube amps and play over the top of a already recorded track but at the loud volume I play my amps I can't really hear the track I am playing over in my headphones which makes it hard. I would love to get one of those sound isolation booths so I could crank up my amps without pissing off my wife but those things cost a lot.

BarrettR

I've had that problem too, you can't adjust the headphone volume of track you are recording (without affecting the recording level), so with a lot of amp bleed through it is too loud. Setting the amp up further away and putting a partition in between works for me, but my favorite old tube amps are smaller than yours (Gretsch 17watt and Univox 5 w).

Somewhere in another thread a guy was telling about using his truck as an iso booth-- he was in the house, with his guitar and recorder, all the cables running out to the truck, with a SM57 mounted on the dashboard and the amp on the seat... and his wife sleeping soundly in the next room... love that.

begacjj

Hey the truck idea is a good one.  My gear is setup in our converted garage right in front of my driveway so I could probably pull that off!  Not sure if my neighbors would be too happy about it though  ;D

BarrettR

OK, this was a quickie and could use editing... I found the best couple of minutes (out of 25). Fun but hope to spend more time with it at some point.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2099676

begacjj

Hey, cool BarrettR.  That effect you were using was wild, sounded like a reverse delay and some sort of pitch shifter!

BarrettR

Thanks but your backing track deserves better. Fun though! Hope to try again when things aren't so crazy-busy...

Correct, reverse delay then split into stereo, then modulated delay on one channel which gave the pitch shift.