How do I work up the courage to sing?

Started by joseph, December 03, 2009, 12:46:14 AM

CraigLennon

I think an important thing to remember mate is that even talented singers have "off" days.

I would never say I am the best singer but I can hold a note or two and when I nail it (or so I'm told) I know I have done it.

The following day I can pick up my guitar and be on top of the world with what I've done that day before... go to sing my first note and instantly want to throw my guitar against a wall and give up for good.

This is all part of being a singer. The best bit of advice I can give you is to at first accept the fact you might stink and accept the fact that you will stink at some point in the future.

Your voice IS an instrument and you CAN make it better with practise. Not everyone is born with a fantastic voice. I never used to believe this but I myself have gotten better with more and more practise.

If all the advice so far fails then go with the only option available (mentioned before) get slightly drunk. 2-3 beers so you ain't half cut but you gain a bit of confidence!

Keep at it mate :)
"I thought I'd never live without her but I got by in time" - The Jam, I Got By In Time.

Currently playing; Tanglewood TW28 CE XB Evolution Exotic Series (Nashville Tuning), Takamine G Series EG430S (Standard) & Gibson J45 (Standard).

www.craiglennonmusic.com
www.facebook.com/craiglennonmusic
www.twitter.com/CraigLennonM

Mike_S

Good question. I have to have everyone out of the house and pick a room that is least likely to be overheard by a neighbour. Even then I am still slightly self-concsious for some reason... phew!

I find though after a take or two of being slightly self-conscious there sometimes is a moment where you just let go -  a bit like standing on a high diving board for ages and eventually you have to just trust it will be ok. Or like Star Wars... "feel the force Luke" ha ha!! If you can do this you will be ok, but its harder said than done, if you are a reluctant singer!!
recorder
iPad GarageBand