How do I work up the courage to sing?

Started by joseph, December 03, 2009, 12:46:14 AM

bannybassman

Quote from: joseph on December 03, 2009, 02:37:22 PMI was not expecting such an overwhelming response to what felt like a dumb question.

not a dumb question, it's something that everyone faces
good luck, and look forward to hearing the results
"A guitarist spends half his life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune"

launched

Quote from: Maverick31 on February 20, 2010, 11:02:38 PMYeah, I'm going for it right now.

That's great to hear. I know you'll do fine! Your voice is an instrument like everything else, so keep at it, and you will experience some great feeling breakthroughs.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

vierge99

Practice while driving for sure. You're in a fairly well-made audio enclosure and if someone sees you singing to nobody you can always speed up, slow down, or make a turn. You even get to play your own backing tracks through the CD/MP3 player.  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

My advice...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...Just do it...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I made the mistake of starting with a song I liked, but it wasn't really in my limited vocal range. Something to consider.  Second attempt worked out better (Thank you, capo).

Blooby

Pipes

I was (was being the operative word) also scared of singing There is something very personal about it that kinda makes us feel vunerable. We have to desensitize ourselves from the fear.. The best way is build your confidence, is in stages and not jump straight into the deep end. Jumping in at the deep end works for some guys, but if it's disappointing it can also set us back even more) This is what worked for me after many years of fear...

Karaoke?...what?? Karaoke i hear you ask...how corny! ::) With Karaoke (not at home, but in front of an audience in a bar/club) you are allowed to sound average/nervous on your first attempt 2/3 attempt, whatever:)) . No one will laugh or make fun, because Karaoke if just for fun right!
 Everybody is in the same boat..just don't take yourself too seriously. sing something your comfortable with. Try and find which key is best for you. Modern Karaoke devices can also drop the key one or two tones too ;)Once i gained some confidence with my Karaoke performances...
 I decided to have singing lessons to boost my confidence even further. You know with each new level you reach, there will be a new challenge to face....for me singing just accompanied by a piano was my next level..it's all a process of becoming less sensitive to situations (desensitizing ourselves...such is life i'm afraid:))

Find you own tone and range...singing lessons helped me do this..it's so much easier to sing in a key that's natural for your range...and your throat dosen't burn like hell!!
The rewards can be great....learn about yourslef:))))
Nick

ps.. as you grow in confidence you will find that your vox range improves too!!

Pipes

..Also don't beat yourself up, if you give a bad performance...."If at First you don't succeed...try, try, again":))) above all have fun peeps ;) :D ;D

Pipes

...my above statement really worked a treat for me...
I just want to encourage you folks to give it a bash...Like i said in Vocal technique...
..you can sound like 'Lee marvin..."I was born under a Wandering star" and still sound great..tonal wise..
,,Could Lee marvin sing in most peoples eyes???ears:).no,.not really...he just found a key that suited his tone and bingo...people pretty much loved that tune:))
...I'm really saying pretty much, that anybody can sing, just find your box or vox:))...don't put square peg in a round hole:)))
Have fun folks:)))

guitarron

singing is my weakest link as well-i double up and triple up my vox lately-a choir of Rons
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=9640.0
(shameless bump)
pick your spots carefully and put in a key you can deal with

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Quote from: guitarron on December 14, 2010, 10:51:21 AMsinging is my weakest link as well-i double up and triple up my vox lately-a choir of Rons
exactly what I do too, hey all the pros do this as standard recording technique, you think that Nickleback  guy actually sings like that.  I say if it is what the pro studios do, and it makes your singing voice go from weak to tolerable (in my case) and doesn't hurt anyone in the process go for it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand