How do I work up the courage to sing?

Started by joseph, December 03, 2009, 12:46:14 AM

joseph

This is something I've been struggling with for years, but as long as there are human beings within earshot I lose my nerve and find it impossible to practice. I mean, I always sing or hum along softly with music I'm listening to, but when it comes to actually projecting my own voice, I can't do it.

I know confidence is a real barrier to a lot of people wanting to sing, so I was wondering if any of you who have made it past that stage have any suggestions. I've considered taking advantage of battery power and taking my Micro BR into a remote location in the woods or something but I'm afraid I'll piss off an eagle or get attacked by a confused coyote.

I have no idea if I'm even suited to sing at all, but until I work up the confidence or find away around that barrier, I find myself growing bored with instrumental recordings.

Any suggestions?
http://unstableau.tumblr.com - my blog: music, writings, doodles, etc

SteveB

JSP - Ah, therein lies the dilemma.  ???
Within this Forum, Joseph, you will hear male and female contributors singing with the kind of aplomb that grace the very best stages in the world, you will also hear those (myself included), who were probably not at the front of the queue when velvet-vocals were dished out. But, as I've pointed to others with the same reservations as yourself, only you know how your own songs should sound. And better singers won't be able to do justice (should they wish) to your songs, if they haven't a clue how they should sound in the first place. You will not be belittled for your vocal attempts on this Forum, Joseph, so take your BR wherever you need, and get that vocal laid down!!  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Ferryman

Here's the answer - sing while driving the car. It's a mobile karaoke machine and you can sing as loud (and as badly) as you want. Probably best you don't have passengers though. That's what I do. Since I don't play live any more, it's the only way I can practice singing at any volume. I tend to do it at night when you can't be seen by other drivers though. Also, when I record vocals I go and sit in the car in the garage with all the doors closed. That way I can't be heard or seen and it really allows you to try anything. The beauty of the MBR is that you can take it with you and still get a good recording, no need for external mikes or anything like that.

If you don't drive, that could be a problem, but try to apply the same principles. You need to find somewhere where you know folks won't hear you so you can not be self-conscious. And the beauty is once you start hearing you sound OK (thanks to the MBR), your confidence will grow.

Many people can sing even though they think they can't. The main thing is being able to pitch your voice in tune with the music. To start with, try stuff that is more spoken, think Lou Reed rather than Mariah Carey. You can then go for the wine glass shattering stuff later on.....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Just go for it. And remember that some songs are much easier to sing than others. I know this sounds stupid, but singing along with records (and karaoke) are good ways to 'find' your voice and work out which styles suit you best. Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Dylan, Lou Reed... none of these people were blessed with amazing voices, but they made it work and actually turned their defficiencies into an integral part of their styles. Take encouragement from them. And practice. My voice has come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years after I started doing open mics. I think Tharek has found a similar boost, as singing to an audience is very scary, but it forces you to learn how to project yourself.

Seriously... what do have to lose? Sing sing sing!

Greeny

lol... Nigel pipped me at the post with pretty much the same advice!

Geir

Nigel and Tim has said the most important, I can only add/emphasize the importance of actually doing it AND posting it here!! I know that has been a BIG help for me. The encouragement and advice you get here is worth more than any singing lesson !

GO FOR IT !!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SteveG

Singing is like any other skill, you need to do it to get better, so just go for it and see what happens!

Dmann

I was in pretty much the same position you are about a year ago. I had just bought my MicroBR, and just started jamming again after almost 10 years of nothing, and well we needed a singer, someone to get us through the songs, So I decided to give it a shot.

All I can say is it's been a long and hard but definately worth it. I recommend everyone sing, it just feels good and yes, EVERYONE CAN SING. I actually asked the same type of questions when I started out, and then it becomes a "how do you actually sing properly" quest, then comes the learning about how to record vocals, and mix and master, etc etc... hehe welp the point being, once you take the leap, from writing instrumentals to singing, the focal point of the song becomes the vocals, so IMO it's a little more involved.

Since then I've read and absorbed as much "free" info I could find on the subject (www.SingingSuccess.com is an awesome resource) Everyone has thier methods, And I found that just getting comfortable doing it (singing) gives you the confidence right there. So what this means is.... Just do it, practice singing all time. The best is to obviously do it in private (in a car, in the shower, while hiking, etc) but IMO you want to record yourself right from the start and listen to yourself so you can adapt and recognize where your current range and abilitys are so you don't try to overdo it (one of the mistakes I made), and learn about your voice because what you hear in your head sounds different then what you are projecting (recorded). One of the biggest reasons most people don't like to hear thier own voice played back is because it's missing the head resonance that you've been used to all your life. I've found that learning to hear your voice how it really sounds allowed me to become quite comfortable with it.

I'm certainly not a great singer, but I can carry a tune, and I sing a full 3 hour set every Tuesday night for our rock/metal band, and it only gets better the more you do it. It's totally changed my perception when it comes to writing music now too, and After a year of doing it now, I'm really considering buying that singing success course and getting a little more serious about it so I can actually produce some of the idea's that are still beyond my ability.

Anyways, Like said above, practice, and remember to have fun with it :)

Wiley

Hey Joseph,  just jump in with both feet!!   The first few bands I played with they wouldn't even let me sing.  Then I finally got to sing one song!!.  So you see its like anything, practice!  practice! practice! Of course my Dad always thought I was great. But that's what Dads are for.  So you just go for it and don't be afraid!!  Everyone can sing.  And we all wish we could sing better or like someone else.  And remember when posting here your not in front of a live audience.  That makes it easier.
PJ

Tony W

I don't think I read anything about singing with cans on, though Dmann covered it. What you hear in your voice with cans on is quite different than what you hear singing to the radio.

I'm starting to sing, and honestly its uncomfortable, even when I'm the only person within earshot.

I'm going in baby steps. I hum a lot. I throw in lyrics about whatever I'm looking at, and trying to follow the melody. (IIIIIIII neeeeed to clean my deeessskkkkkk) that kind of thing.

I want to sing, but I feel as though I have an awful voice. I'm very self conscious about it. As of yet I've not posted anything I've sang, but I keep the files to see if I've made progress.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR