Good 14th Birthday Present......?

Started by Ferryman, November 29, 2009, 11:07:41 AM

Ferryman

How about this? It was my son's 14th birthday yesterday, and as part of his present I took him to see Girlschoool, The Damned and Motorhead at the Hammersmith Apollo. Good or what? Would your parents have done the same for you at that age? Kids today just don't know how lucky they are..... :D Mind you, I didn't take a lot of convincing.....

Fantastic gig btw. The Damned were on good form (my fave punk band of all time) and Motorhead were just amazing live. I felt old though - te last time I saw Motorhead live was on their first major UK tour in 1978!!! At least Lemmy is still older than me.....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

I believe my father might've been willing to take me to a Ray Conniff retrospective, but that is all.  You are a cool dad.  And what could be more bonding than father and son singing "Eat the Rich" together?

By the by, the Lemmy movie is due soon.

Blooby

fenderbender

yeh dads are cool ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ive been to a good lot of live concerts in my time ::)
but the coolest one was with my 2 grandchildren --

"thomas the tank engine and friends"
 ;D ;D ;D
you wanna see all the so called cool heads there with their kids ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Tangled Wires

Took my 7 year old (at the time) nephew to see McFly at Wembley a couple of years ago. Couldn't comment too much on McFlys performance, as they were pretty much drowned out by the thousands of screaming teenage girls!!

He is now starting to get into some music that I like, so hopefully I can take him to see "cool" bands in the future!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

:o :o :o :o :o
That's really cool  8) !! If my dad had taken me to a concert I guess it would've been Jim Reeves or Pat Boone ::)

Quote from: Ferryman on November 29, 2009, 11:07:41 AMFantastic gig btw. The Damned were on good form (my fave punk band of all time) ........
A little green monster is growing inside me .... They were my favs too ...of punk bands that is  8)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Satchwood

That's an awesome birthday present !!!  Lucky boy !!!

I saw Motorhead once open for Priest - dam they were great - their like the original heavy metalheads or something...really had a good repport with the audience too....
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Oldrottenhead

is lauren laverne still in girlschool, she does it for me.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

He's a lucky boy! I'd have liked to see that one. My dad would never have done anything like that. I missed the final Japan tour in 1982 because I couldn't even get a lift to Portsmouth (35 miles away). I'm making up for it with my son though. He's seen a few good gigs already, and he's only 9.

That's a great present, Nigel. He must think you're one cool dad!

Vanncad

Hey - that's an awesome present! I love Motorhead! You're a great parent for doing that.

You're lucky. I took my daughter to a couple concerts. "Hilary Duff" (7yrs old), and a "Avril Lavigne" (9 yrs old). Not my type of music, but I just want her to see what is possible if you chase your dreams.

Good on you Ferryman - that will build a good connection with your kid. Sounds like fun!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Ferryman

Thanks all, it was huge fun and it's really nice when you have a shared interest. A great bonding exercise indeed, and also a good "growing up " exercise - mixing with the crowd at a Motorhead gig certainly is a rite of passage that all 14 year olds boys should undertake! We were in the seats upstairs however reather than the "mosh pit" - I'm too old for that and he's still too young! We didn't sing "Eat the Rich" because they didn't do it (and I'm glad there's no "Eat the comfortably off middle classes" version either), but we were leaping around to Overkill and Ace of Spades. Classic stuff.

looking forward to the Motorhead movie and will be getting Lemmy's autobiog for Xmas - apparently it's quite a read.

Jim,  Lauren Laverne wasn't in Girlschool, that must have been another fantasy. But they looked pretty good for a bunch of ladies that are a similar age to me. And they rocked pretty good also.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR