Any philosophers out there?

Started by jackofall, November 21, 2009, 02:48:03 AM

SteveB

JOA - Just to expound a little on my previous point in light of your recent reply.

Grief makes you vunerable.
Evolution doesn't do vunerable.

Which makes me think that Evolution isn't wholly responsible for the Human condition. What is responsible however, is anyone's guess.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

jackofall

SteveB, I take your point fully and totally agree. Have you read 'In God We Doubt' by John Humphrys - the radio broadcaster? He comes up with similar points. When it comes to people like Schindler who took terrible risks to hide jews from the Nazis, Dawkins says that such altruism is a misfiring of a basic instinct of 'I'll do you a favour if you do me a favour back later on when I need it'. People like Schindler could never get a favour back, so Dawkins likens it to LUST. Like sex, the desire has been separated from its real 'purpose'  - ie, reproduction. Humphrys is shocked that everything noble and virtuous about humans that makes us different from animals, is reduced to 'lust'. An evolutionary 'mistake' is what makes us moral beings. It doesn't add up for humphrys and I think he has got a point! I've sat on the fence so long about 'the meaning of life' that splinters are a permanent feature of my poor buttocks....    
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveB

Quote from: jackofall on November 23, 2009, 03:17:28 AM...I've sat on the fence so long about 'the meaning of life' that splinters are a permanent feature of my poor buttocks....    

JOA - Well it's a very BIG fence because You, Me and most of Humanity is also sat on it because it's the biggest question of all time. And the bare truth of course is: No One Knows.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

Oldrottenhead

QuoteAnd the bare truth of course is: No One Knows.
problem is a lot of people think they know, i tend not to trust people that are certain about everything, i trust the guy that says "well you know, i'm not quite sure about that"
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveB

Quote from: oldrottenhead on November 23, 2009, 03:57:56 AMproblem is a lot of people think they know, i tend not to trust people that are certain about everything, i trust the guy that says "well you know, i'm not quite sure about that"

ORH - Agree with almost all you say, although I'd probably draw the line at including Airline Pilots in the category '...i trust the guy that says "well you know, i'm not quite sure about that"  ;D

SB
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

tony

Quote from: SteveB on November 23, 2009, 02:22:59 AMGrief makes you vunerable.
Evolution doesn't do vunerable.

Which makes me think that Evolution isn't wholly responsible for the Human condition. What is responsible however, is anyone's guess.

Why does evolution not do vulnerable?  What is vulnerable in one circumstance is strength in another.  I slink away from a fight in a bar and I get the girl who likes that I'm honest about my fear.  Whatever, pick they example that you like.

I don't think there are any rules about evolution that don't relate to context.

Quote from: SteveB on November 23, 2009, 03:54:30 AMAnd the bare truth of course is: No One Knows.

So why don't we accept that and carry on.  I might not know why Emin sounds good after G maj but I'm happy to use the fact that it does.  Not just content, actually happy.  Aren't the big questions just a product of those people going around proposing that they have the big answers?

I advocate sticking with the little questions (How am I going to get through Xmas without getting a loan?). They have a better strike rate than the big questions.

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI advocate sticking with the little questions (How am I going to get through Xmas without getting a loan?). They have a better strike rate than the big questions.
thats actually quite a big question for me lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

jackofall

That's why Zen is so cool. It doesn't ask questions......you just sit in meditation and let the ego/self fall away. Music is at its best when you get out of the way of yourself. There's a guy at our guitar society who is a brilliant player but he leaves everyone cold because his playing is just a big demonstartion of how good he is. I've seen other players who are just a channel for the music. It flows out of them and communicates something mysterious, beyond anyone playing anything....sorry, I'm addicted to rambling sometimes, especially in such good company as this. Whose round is it?
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

tony

Quote from: oldrottenhead on November 23, 2009, 04:31:40 AM
QuoteI advocate sticking with the little questions (How am I going to get through Xmas without getting a loan?). They have a better strike rate than the big questions.
thats actually quite a big question for me lol.
I agree.  It's a biggie for me, too, but little in the sense that nobody gives a shit about the answer but me (and the hungry mouths in the other room).