Just given Father Christmas a bit of a hand - Vox AC4TV

Started by AndyR, November 16, 2009, 06:36:33 AM

AndyR

Couldn't find much on the Vox AC4TV on here, anyone else got one yet?

I know Greeny was vaguely interested a few months back.

I was under instructions over the weekend to try out the couple of small amps I'm "interested" in (also the Laney Cub 10). And, if necessary, bring one home and send the invoice to "Father Christmas".

I never got as far as finding a Cub 10 to try... I tried out the AC4TV (10" speaker version) and was completely floored by it.

Greeny - you WANT ONE, 48 you probably do too - in fact, all bluesers and popsters should have a look/listen to one of these.

I only tried it for 30 mins or so. I used a strat and an SG, and it is really, REALLY nice, at all power settings (4W, 1W, & 1/4W).

Running full tilt (imagine the sound of an AC30 at fult tilt, but you can actually stand next to it!) on the 4W setting is probably just a bit loud for regular use my place, but at 1W it is manageable, 1/4W no complaints at all.

If you're after "clean" it might not be for you, especially if you put humbuckers through it and want a lot of clean headroom. After halfway on the volume knob, it doesn't get enormously louder, just more dirty Vox tone. But such a tone!!

Also it really responds to the guitar controls - put the amp volume on full, and then turn the guitar down - it does what the good ole boys would be expecting: clean sound at not much quieter than the dirty when the guitar is full up ;D

There's only a slight degradation in the "oh wow!! 8)" factor of the tone as you switch down from 4 > 1 > 1/4. I was expecting a lot worse. In fact, I almost suspect they've voiced the amp for "best" on the 1W setting.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to open the box until Christmas morning  :(
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Sweet looking amp Andy.  I have a  Epiphone Valve Jr, it has no controls, just one volume knob so I have to use a Boss FDR pedal in front of it for tone control and to get some dirt at manageble kitchen use levels.  This Vox amp looks like a real winner for home use.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

I hope to own one of these oneday! It may be some time though, lol

Sprocket

If I had my way Id buy just about every 5 watt tube amp made.
Ive already got 2 silverfaced Champs, but Ive also got a buddy whos got a Gibson GA5...soon as he got that this TV4 came out.
I love 5 watters!
Bout the only thing I like more is two 5 watters in stereo delay!

AndyR

Quote from: Sprocket on November 18, 2009, 08:26:09 AMIf I had my way Id buy just about every 5 watt tube amp made.
Ive already got 2 silverfaced Champs, but Ive also got a buddy whos got a Gibson GA5...soon as he got that this TV4 came out.
I love 5 watters!
Bout the only thing I like more is two 5 watters in stereo delay!

This is what I fear might happen to me once I'm allowed to get it out of the box and play it!

Only 36 more "modelling" days until Christmas! haven't been looking forward to it like this for years (last year I knew the MBR was on the way, but I didn't actually know what it could do, so that didn't create quite so much anticipation).
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

The Reverend 48

way to go Andy.......I saw a review and it looks the dogz.......
to be fair I can't justify buying one as I havent used an amp in3 months
 I cant wait till boxing day to hear that AC4 ripping it up!

AndyR

Father Christmas has changed her mind :D

She felt that an "amp" didn't really seem like much of a pressie to her... she thought that possibly the "right guitar" would be better...

The "right guitar" meant a "guitar that you possibly wouldn't buy yourself because you don't really need it but you'd really rather like to have it anyway..."

So a little trip to the guitar shop man yesterday, and there is now one of these http://www.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-guitars/1 hiding in the house somewhere. OK, I can see the gig-bag but I'm not allowed to open it!  :D

This means the AC4TV has been officially funded by me... and has now been...

unleashed

... and is FAB!!

Er, it's a bit loud though, girls and boys... even on the 1/4 watt setting :o

Gorgeous vox-ey sounds though...

I have to admit openly in this public forum that I do have a rather special and lovely wife :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1