Unusual recording methods in mainstream music.

Started by betzq, June 15, 2008, 12:26:08 PM

betzq

Or in not so mainstream music... what have you heard? For starters i would like to point out  the black keys's first 3 albums. Which are recorded to tape in drummers basement or in abandoned warhouses sound great.

Oldrottenhead

julian cope recorded some of the tracks on jehovakill underground in a barrow ,which is  an ancient  anglo saxon burial mound.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

troy6120

On my "Ditty For Don Wood" (found in the Post Your...), I was going for an old Chet Atkins kind of sound. I tried making sure that the hum/noise from my window unit got picked up by the mic while recording. Not a lot, just a bit. Kind of gave it a "grainy" texture.

Greeny

I've been doing a few vocal takes in my girlfriend's bathroom recently. Not sure if it adds to or detracts from the recording, but it's the only quiet place I can find!  :D

Flash Harry

Quote from: Greeny on December 11, 2008, 02:17:25 AMI've been doing a few vocal takes in my girlfriend's bathroom recently. Not sure if it adds to or detracts from the recording, but it's the only quiet place I can find!  :D

This really is more information than was required.

:-\
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: Flash Harry on December 12, 2008, 09:33:49 AM
Quote from: Greeny on December 11, 2008, 02:17:25 AMI've been doing a few vocal takes in my girlfriend's bathroom recently. Not sure if it adds to or detracts from the recording, but it's the only quiet place I can find!  :D

This really is more information than was required.

:-\

Bathrooms are good places to knock one out.

Songs, I mean  :D

Oldrottenhead

QuoteBathrooms are good places to knock one out.
tharek and the osckilo guys have done that a few times now, their arms must be tired with all that playing.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Nearly anything produced by Joe Meek back in the Sixties - usually recorded in his flat in the bathroom, stairwell, bedroom - whatever room acoustic complemented the song.

I also read that he was not easy to work with, and that some were thrown down that same stairwell...  :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

OsCKilO

Quote from: oldrottenhead on August 09, 2009, 04:13:46 AM
QuoteBathrooms are good places to knock one out.
tharek and the osckilo guys have done that a few times now, their arms must be tired with all that playing.

Bathrooms are a great place to knock one out when you have the house to yourself....

Even better when you are in there with you mates, Knocking one out together...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSUIPp45DpI

Lol
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy