Song writing.....

Started by The Reverend 48, November 07, 2009, 09:19:50 AM

The Reverend 48

As you know I can play a bit and know a little theory ;D
I want to spread my wings and begin to construct my own songs :o
I am aware that they need a structure
but how do you go about deciding how to get from a riff idea to creating verse to chorus and even bridge
any thoughts ideas experience greatly appreciated...........

Oldrottenhead

one way of doing this is recording the riff you have in mind for a few bars then leaving a gap for a few bars coming in with your riff again then leaving another gap etc. the playing back and at the gaps just experiment to see if you can come up with a change that fits. am stuck for time (at work) but i would have for example an into  for about 4 bars then the riff for four or eight bars as a verse, then 4 or 8bars for a chorus back into verse then do something different for 4 bars to break things up then verse chorus outro. but as always there are no rules the world is your oyster.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

SteveB

48 - If your intended songs are to have Lyrics, then a good idea is to have a note pad handy (in fact several dotted about your person and abode!), and jot down any word or phrase that catches your ear from everyday experiences. A practical application might be for you to construct a song around one of your backers, then at least you have an in-place structure to work with. But as others have said, there are no hard and fast rules to songwriting itself. However, beyond that, there certainly are considerations to keep in mind. (Not very likely), but if all your songs were to contain 3 power chords played repetitively for 10 minutes, then it won't take an Einstein to work out what sort of audience may find your songs appealing. Equally, solo piano and voice probably won't have a lasting fan-base with grizzled rockers!! Er, good luck.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bluesberry

My advice is to take 3-5 songs that you really like and listen to these over and over and analyze them, write it down, what is going on, chorus, verse, bridge, where is the solo placed.  Analyze them.  Then write a song in a similar structure.  Don't copy it but use the model to get your first song done.  This is how I started, my first song was modeled on some Alt.country stuff I really liked (Blue Rodeo in particular).  Once you get one song under your belt you can experiment a bit more.  You have to start somewhere.  Many, many songwriters have started out this way and about 3-4 songs in developed their own style.  It is like studying the songs you like and figuring out why they work and why you like them.  Go for it Mike, writing songs has become one of the most rewarding things I can think of to do, it is really fun stuff to create something from nothing.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Diego Ayala

Excellent discussion/post!  I have been trying to do jsut this with a lot of my songs after Jim added lyrics to some of my songs - and indicated the same thing - to add diversity to a song!  Problem I'm having is that i have a lot of songs i hace composed and played for so many years that it is hard to try to add a bridge or maybe even change to add chorus.

You would figure that after 40 +++ years of listening to music i woudl have this figured out on my own compositions --- the thing is that before joining this forum i had never realy sat down to think about these things!

I am just goign to have to get serious and just take one song theat Jim has added lyrics to it and see how can i add some other changes...

Cool ???

Thanks 48 for bringin it up!  I want to "Greeny"-up my music!!!

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI want to "Greeny"-up my music!!!
dont we all lol
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Sprocket

What kind of song do you want to write?
With my song project, I just used a typical 12 bar structure with the I,IV,V, strum out the chords, maybe record a shuffle over those chords, do a riff pattern in the same 12 bar structure ending each of the riffs on that chords root note or even back to the I(key root).
At this point the riffs begin to come out of the wood work, I may even do the same riff in a different location on the fretboard...or do partial implied riffs.
By now you should have a sweet backer to solo over and enough key riffs to keep coming back to through out.

I hope this was some help, Ive really been studying up in the books lately and this seems to work for me, so far. YMMV

[edit]After you record your 12 bar rhythm or riff, copy that track and then move it to where ever you want, as many times as you want. This made my song super easy.

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Diego Ayala on November 07, 2009, 10:26:02 AMThanks 48 for bringin it up!  I want to "Greeny"-up my music!!!

I can only dream...it would take more help than a simple looper ;D ;D

Seriously thanks for your comments they are all really helping me get my head round this.........
ORH ; That sounds like where I will start from thanks
T and SteveB: I think I need a structure because this is all alien to me the lyrics will come later......
BB; sound advice I will start listening to stuff with different ears
Sprocket: I can play and hear 12 bar sequences in my sleep
This is to hopefully help me break out from my beloved blues

So If I can push this further I
Say the drum pattern would be static (I'm not taking on changing drum patterns yet)
And I wanted to have a simple structure of verse chorus verse chorus
and picked a riff for the verse of say Am Dm G which I think is in the key of C (or Am)
how would you go about adding a chorus or even adding a bridge
Please forgive me if this is all bollocks I'm just trying to understand where I go to next and so far this is really useful
Thanks Again ;)

T.C. Elliott

The most common ( this is a debatable point, but for our discussion we'll assume it's true) structure is verse/chorus.  The most common verse chorus structure consists of 8 bars each of verse and chorus. If I were you I'd do a rhythm pattern for a song structure consisting of an intro of 4 bars then 8 bars for a verse and 8 bars for a chorus then repeat. I'd alternate the pattern on the editor for the verses and choruses. The most important thing is to find a pattern that fits the riff you are working with. Solo something over your 4 bars intro before each verse and then try to write a lyric and melody more or less at the same time to the verse section and the chorus section. Generally speaking 3 verses and 3 choruses work. 2 verses and three choruses with a solo section before the last chorus works as well. A bridge section can be used instead of a third verse or just before the solo.

Remember at this point we are writing not recording. It doesn't matter what it sounds like as long as you get the idea down. You are gonna re-record once the song is written so you have a demo or a worktape of the finished song.

The best thing to do, imo, is to listen to the best popular songs of the 60's. Pay attention to song structure. Ie, when the solo happens, how many verses, how many times the chorus repeats etc.

I would also suggest you join up at FAWM.org ( http://fawm.org ) next January and participate next February. Yes you'll likely not be doing great songs your first attempt but there are lots of people to help you write and encourage you. It's less a critique site and more of a cheerleading site, which is very important when you begin to write songs.

I've written over 150 songs in the last 2 years  and some of them are even half way decent. I'm still learning.

If you are serious about song writing and are also interested in the business of it I'd highly recommend the book "The Craft and Business of Songwriting" by Braheny
It's a good book on either subject but the best one I've found on both combined.
There are also some blogs on the net that would be helpful. If you are interested I'll try to get them in order and post a list of the ones I like the most. Tom Slatter's comes to mind. I also started a blog about songwriting but it's brand new and so far the posts are more about my love of music more than actual songwriting. I'm gonna start at the very beginning and work my way up. I'll try to remember to post a link when I get some done.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London