SKY DRIVE

Started by The Reverend 48, October 26, 2009, 06:51:35 AM

Ted

I use MediaFire for this kind of stuff (http://www.mediafire.com).  The free version lets up upload files that are up to 100 MB. The interface is kind of annoying, but the URL doesn't change from day to day.

(Oh... And it's not owned by Microsoft.)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

hope i'm not repeating any replies as ive only read mikes original post and immediately thought of a benefit for him,  one benefit to you mike would be, you could post all your blues lessons on skydrive, then send the link to each student, rather than having to mail the file over and over again.
better read the replies now
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: SteveB on October 26, 2009, 10:33:31 AM
Quote from: 64Guitars on October 26, 2009, 10:23:20 AMA couple of potential alternatives to SkyDrive are...They only give you 2GB of storage for free, but that should be enough for about 400 MP3s (at an average of 5MB per song)...

64 - Does this mean that our esteemed Proggers really will be able to do 20-minute solos on a couple of spoons?

Quote from: SteveB on October 26, 2009, 10:45:15 AMas far as I can see, the individual song isn't limited to 5mb etc on some of these sites. Therefore, no time limit on yer Prog epic!!

Correct. I don't think any of these sites care how big your files are, as long as the total size of all files is within their limit (2 GB for Dropbox and Ubuntu One). And we don't care here since you'd only be linking to the file, not storing it here. So go ahead and post a link to your extended cover of "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida", "Thick as a Brick", or "Supper's Ready" at 320 kbps.  :)  Although, you might want to have some consideration for the few people who have slow dialup connections.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Ted : Does the URLs stay unchanged also on the free accounts on http://www.mediafire.com? One of the selling points to the PRO version is "Direct/Hot link to files"

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 26, 2009, 10:25:14 AM
Quote from: Geir on October 26, 2009, 10:21:39 AMI think my link in this post works:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4838.msg59452#msg59452
Yes. But try it again in 24 hours and I think you'll find that the MP3 player no longer works because Microsoft has changed the URL of your file.
Thanks for the warning !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Ted: I hope you don't mind me using your song as a test of MediaFire's ability to link to our MP3 player (and stay linked). Are you using the Free version or the MediaPro ($6.97 per month) version?

Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

Geir and 64G: I have the free version.  So, even though the URL ends in .mp3, it is not a direct link to the file.  Since I haven't tried the the MediaPro account, I don't know what would happen if you tried to use the "direct hotlink" with the MP3 player we use on this site.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Quote from: Ted on October 26, 2009, 09:03:15 PMGeir and 64G: I have the free version.  So, even though the URL ends in .mp3, it is not a direct link to the file.

Yes, but if you right-click on the "Click here to start download" link and select Copy Link Location, you get a link to the file which works in the MP3 player:

(click to enlarge)

Time:
Volume:

But will it last? Time will tell.

One odd thing I noticed is that the URL I got just now is different than the one I got just over an hour ago.

Now:
http://download657.mediafire.com/eyd3ltwhdesg/ywgnymcumh5/Osckilo+African+Collab+-+master+w_bass+%26+drums+%28MP3%29.mp3

Before:
http://download657.mediafire.com/35ysz1wkwhsg/ywgnymcumh5/Osckilo+African+Collab+-+master+w_bass+%26+drums+%28MP3%29.mp3

Yet, both links seem to work in the MP3 player (for now).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

The players in both of my previous posts here are broken today. So I guess MediaFire has the same limitation as SkyDrive. You can post a link to a Media Fire or SkyDrive page where your songs can be downloaded and played, but you can't link those songs to our MP3 player in a reliable way.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

dwardzala

OK trying something from fileden.com where I have some songs hosted.  This is my version of Rockin in the Free World.

Time:
Volume:

Not sure if it'll work.  Someone will have to check it in a day or two.
Dave

BR-600

64Guitars

Quote from: dwardzala on October 27, 2009, 05:34:57 PMOK trying something from fileden.com where I have some songs hosted.
Not sure if it'll work.  Someone will have to check it in a day or two.

Thanks for posting this, Dave. I just went to the FileDEN home page and here is what it says about their free account:

• Hotlinking allowed for all allowed file extensions, including videos and music files!
  • 1GB of personal storage space.
  • A 50mb maximum file size limit
  • 5GB of monthly bandwidth

It sounds very promising! Maybe some more people could sign up at FileDEN and let us know what they think of it.

Could this be the answer we're looking for?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website