Uploading MP3's to the forum server will not be possible

Started by Pedro, October 23, 2009, 04:37:10 AM

Pedro

The issue is the disk space, the MP3 files are stored in a folder. The database that bluehost was referring to are all the files in that folder.

Justin_Case

Just an idea...

wwwBox.net seems to work well - 1 Gig Storage for free, and bigger plans available

While not as simple as a straight upload, adding a hyperlink is not that hard.

Example - it pulls up a small window and plays, and allows for a download.  It also has a method to allow for collaborations.

http://www.box.net/shared/vtyona27df

A power user on his/her own would have the option of getting an upgrade.  It is also a great off site backup regardless

krog

Has anyone looked into Filefactory.com? It has 100 gb storage and streaming music ability but I don't know anything about this sort of thing. It was one of the first things that came up when I looked into free file hosting. It seems legit but as I said I am clueless and just wanted to see if anyone else had tried it.
The word you are looking for is "word".

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

T.C. Elliott

A couple of thoughts.

As already has been said if you record a cover and play it to the public it's a copyright violation and the reason that we "get away with it" is that there is no incentive to the copyright holders to take the time to do the work to take down the millions of covers on the net. It's time consuming and it's costly for them in man hours if nothing else.
    I agree that the largest risk BossBrNet runs is that someone such as a record label (like Neil's) decides we shouldn't oughta do post them anymore. There must be something in place, a TOS, that lets us know we are all individually responsible.
    What does this mean? It is the same as harassment at work. You can talk dirty all you want as long as everyone does. As soon as one person TELLS YOU it bothers them or they are uncomfortable or to stop you are good to go. But once that happens you must cease the action. The same with covers.  Now if you sell a million records with a cover you are a lightning rod because they can profit off of it. Otherwise, once the site is told to stop, they must take reasonable action to stop the action at that time or they can and I assume will be sued. We don't want that.

As has already been said, multiple solutions exist. None of them are perfect, but many of them are doable. If there is a way we can use widgets from other sites (and I'm ignorant on this) that is one great solution. I have recently started using ReverbNation for some original tunes, for instance.  Finding spots that will stream, like google pages, is another. Google pages was the perfect solution until they decided to stop letting new accounts sign up, and apparently they are slowly closing down the google pages. Mine have been up for a year since they told me that they'd be moving the stuff 'soon'. Still streaming and I'm still uploading. I feel that once a viable solution or solutions exist that it is up to the individual members to do the work. Ie, some of the solutions are more work than others, but it's up to us to use them or fix the links.

64 offered to fix old links.. and while that's great... I'd much rather have his time and energy spent toward helping us record or implementing a single song load from the BRexplorer (HINT HINT) than fix a bunch of links, most of which aren't used on a daily or even weekly basis. A simple message to all of us telling us what we need to do to fix the problem and let us do that. If we, as individuals, decide the old files can die then so be it. - A compromise if 64 was willing is to compile a list of the old files by username and then let each individual user see and fix their own links. But even then I'd assume it is our own responsibility. What amounts to a few minutes per person adds up to a huge project for one person.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Pedro

Added a BBCode that automatically adds a Soundclick Widget!

Testing on this post with a song by Oldrottenhead:

[soundclick]8243034[/soundclick]

Works great!! To use it you just need to add the song ID (a big number) in the soundclick tag, like this[soundclick]1213232[/soundclick]
This is definitely a great advance. I will try to add more widgets from other music sites.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pedro

Just write:

[soundclick]SongID[/soundclick]
I will add a button, tomorrow.

Also, I've made the decision, Post your MP3 boards will no longer support uploading a MP3 to our server, except the Collaborations board, which will remain as it is but with an auto-deletion of attachments older than 2 month. The other boards will have to use an external website, such as Soundclick (now with the widget!), Box.net, Skydrive, or any other. As to the music that already is in the server, I'm still trying to see if it can be moved with losing anything.

I will write some guides to help the new MP3 posting process which will be linked in the Post your MP3 board new topic page.

This changes are to take effect tomorrow. You'll see it is not that bad.  :D

Pine

No matter what happens in the future Pedro, nothing can ever take away the knowledge that has been shared and the fun that has been had. This whole site is a gift. Here's to ya! (emoticon of two beers clanking together)
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Blooby

I've been using the odd Google site to communicate with my band members and have been streaming songs from there to Br.net for a couple months.  Internet Explorer users have had to download tunes, but Firefox and Chrome seems to stream just fine.

On the plus side, links to Google sites and I assume Soundclick sites allow for large files, which means either impending prog epics and/or higher bitrate mp3s.

The information below is from Google:

For Sites created under sites.google.com/site
    * Site quota: 100Mb/site
    * Max attachment size: 20Mb
    * Pages per site: unlimited
    * Sites per domain: unlimited

I built this ugly, functional, free Google site in under two minutes and linked our crappy version of a Doobie Brothers song in another minute or two.

One way or another, these issues will pass. Thanks you, Pedro, for being proactive.

Blooby

Time:
0:00
Volume: