Uploading MP3's to the forum server will not be possible

Started by Pedro, October 23, 2009, 04:37:10 AM

64Guitars

Pedro: The home page of your web provider, Bluehost.com, lists the following features for all accounts:

If they provide unlimited hosting space and unlimited file transfer, why do you think we'll have a problem?

Why not take bluehost at their word and leave things as they are? If they eventually complain about the size and want to charge you extra, maybe you could contact Boss and ask them to sponsor the site. I think your site promotes Boss products (increasing Boss sales) and lessens the burden on Boss's tech support department (reducing Boss's expenses), so they should be willing to sponsor the site. The trick is in contacting the right person at Boss/Roland. Perhaps their marketing department?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pedro

What made me think was this:

http://www.bluehostreview.org/bluehost-hosting-offering-unlimited-storage-space

(the first comment)

And eventually led me to search for other examples. The TOS states that backup files are all the files that the website doesn't need to run. MP3's files aren't needed for actually running the forum and so that scares me a little bit. I want BossBR.net to never end and that requires a sustainable solution.

Diego Ayala

Quote from: admin on October 23, 2009, 03:06:20 PMWhat made me think was this:

(the first comment)

And eventually led me to search for other examples. The TOS states that backup files are all the files that the website doesn't need to run. MP3's files aren't needed for actually running the forum and so that scares me a little bit. I want BossBR.net to never end and that requires a sustainable solution.

I agree, as I have made this forum a big part of my music endeavors, daily if I can!  It is good thta you are doing some planning for the future before we do end up with some limits.  I do have songs posted under soundclick, but spend a lot more time on this forum and recently under facebook and I'm sharing links to songs under the br forum --- so good pr for the musicians and what goes with it, which may result on folks wanting to purchase these units...

Oldrottenhead

on first read i think the TOS is talking about using your site or webspace for storage (like a gigantic skydrive or harddrive), i think you can clearly show that that is not the case here , that this is an active website and forum with lots of users and members actively reading and contributing to the forum and its threads and that the mp3s are part of that activitey, they are not just being stored.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

fenderbender

sorry guys im really a bit of a  blockhead when it comes to the nuts and bolts-pardon the  expression ---but hopefully things can be worked out -and then someone can send me the dummies book of how to -please
thanks all I love this site
tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Pedro

It is this actual part that bothers me:

QuoteUnlimited Hosting Space. BlueHost.Com does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of disk space a Subscriber can use for the Subscriber's website, nor does BlueHost.Com charge additional fees based on an increased amount of storage used, provided the Subscriber's use of storage complies with these Terms. Please note, however, that the BlueHost.Com service is designed to host websites . BlueHost.Com does NOT provide unlimited space for online storage, backups, or archiving of electronic files, documents, log files, etc., and any such prohibited use of the Services will result in the termination of Subscriber's account, with or without notice.

The post your MP3 can be seen as a type of electronic files archiving, doesn't it?

64Guitars

Quote from: admin on October 23, 2009, 03:06:20 PMWhat made me think was this:

(the first comment)

I see what you mean. Pretty misleading advertising by bluehost then, to say that space is unlimited.

How does the SMF software store the attachments? Does it store each MP3 as an individual file? Or are the attachments stored within the database? If it's the latter case, then I don't see a problem because the database is a necessary part of the website. But if the MP3s are stored as individual files, then they might say that violates the terms of service. Are there any options in the SMF software that would allow attachments to be stored in the database instead of separately?

Looking through the bluehost forum, I get the impression that a bigger problem might be the file count limit of 50,000 files. Where do we stand on that? (apparently, you'll find the count in the file '/tmp/userquota').

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

thats the bit that  i read and interpretted as above. i dont think you have anything to worry about, its not like the mp3s are being stored in folders or that you are using your webspace as a hard drive. the mp3s are part of an active forum there for the users of that foru. you could be pedantic and say they are archived but i think in this case the term archive means, stored or saved like a library.
Quote from: admin on October 23, 2009, 03:51:16 PMIt is this actual part that bothers me:

QuoteUnlimited Hosting Space. BlueHost.Com does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of disk space a Subscriber can use for the Subscriber's website, nor does BlueHost.Com charge additional fees based on an increased amount of storage used, provided the Subscriber's use of storage complies with these Terms. Please note, however, that the BlueHost.Com service is designed to host websites . BlueHost.Com does NOT provide unlimited space for online storage, backups, or archiving of electronic files, documents, log files, etc., and any such prohibited use of the Services will result in the termination of Subscriber's account, with or without notice.

The post your MP3 can be seen as a type of electronic files archiving, doesn't it?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Pine

wow..interesting thread. Wish i understood it all a bit more thoroughly. All i can say is that Life is about the here and now and not the yesterdays. I think the popular suggestions of deleting songs/threads after 30-60 days is fine except for maybe the tutorials. I would happily remove all my songs...my SC link gets anybody interested right to them in a heartbeat. Limiting files is also a very practical idea and doable. I see keeping the MP3 player posting as a key to this site. Folks seem to want and need immediate feedback on projects. SC sites are free and unlimited. Archive all your stuff there. I know lots of folks that post random tracks there for collabs. It's no big deal. And Wiley...i have heard hundreds of covers while there..it's not an issue as long as you don't try to sell them or offer free downloads. Stream only.
   As for Boss/Roland helping out....great idea but good luck. They seem oblivious to their consumers.
   This site is way too helpful and fun to not survive. I think this issue can be fixed easily because people here communicate very well and all seem willing to sacrifice  yesterdays news for the sake of more todays and tomorrows.
recorder
Boss BR-1200