Uploading MP3's to the forum server will not be possible

Started by Pedro, October 23, 2009, 04:37:10 AM

Groundy

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 23, 2009, 05:18:29 AMseems like you are a victim of your own success pedro. i would suggest anyone with a hotmail account use skydrive a lot of people might not be aware they have it but if you look along the top of your hotmail page click where it says more, this offers you more options one of which is skydrive, i think it allows you to store and share up to 6gigs of data. to allow any upload to work here, you would need to upload it to one of your public folders to allow anyone to access it, if you post it in a private folder the file will only be available to the people you  chose.

been a while since i put a link to skydrive but a while back when this site was changed all my skydrive links disappeared. also i cant remember how to connect the link, so 64  will have to do another masterclass on that for me.

with regards to collabs this might cause problems, people wont want to post  works in progress or unfinished songs at soundclick or myspace, this shouldnt be a problem for existing collaborators as most do collaborations via email, but for example recently gritter a new and very welcomed arrival, posted his space cats collab for others to added to, i presume this means its going to be difficult for future newbies to get involved in collaborations in this easy and informal way.

also one of the great things about the collab threads is watching a song develop.

I was'nt aware I had skydrive on my Hotmail, I have just checked it out and uploaded a couple of songs didnt take to long, but I dont know yet how to connect the link    Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

StevieM

Hmmmm----That wouldn't be good! That facility is definitely one of the things that's so good about here ( apart from the general friendliness and all the rest).
 I understand the problem, but hopefully there's a way round it? Maybe, as Mike suggests, a limited life for MP3's? Another forum a couple of us are on is Guitar Blast, and the way they do it is you have your own personal size limit ( I think it's about 13mb). So that's either a couple of big files, or more smaller ones. When you've reached the limit you have a choice which ones to delete. The post is still there, just no MP3, so if anyone's interested they can ask for it, either to be e mailed, or re-posted.
Sound click's ok for some, but not everyone, and as PJ says, not really for covers, and collabs could be tricky too.

One of the dangers, as I see it, is that people will start to drift away from here, and maybe find other sites that will work better, and it'll turn into just another  'question and answer' forum? That would be a real shame, 'cos its so good on here.

I think I'd better into gear and download a lot of the tracks I've not done yet, don't want to lose them!!!!!

I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveB

Well I hope a viable solution is found. But here's a question just off the top of my head, although I plead guilty to ignorance on technicalities. Most oridnary PCs these days boast Hard-Drives of 250gbs etc, and some of the servers around the Internet actually make a point of selling their servers as having 'tetrabytes' of Hard-Drive capacity. How soon would the BR-Comm exhaust its limit, if in fact there is one?
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Flash Harry

Shame. 

We will find a way round it. We're all addicts after all.

It is a testament to the success of your original idea though Pedro. You will have my support what ever you decide.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Pedro

Hmmm, thanks for all the ideas, guys. I will take all of them in account so keep them coming.

I like the idea of reducing the archive to one or two months. The idea of limiting the size per user is also interesting in order to maintain a balance. Had a look at guitarblast.com and it seems to work well, there.

By reducing the overall used webspace to 3GB (600 songs) and mainting it at that point, I think we wouldn't have any problem.

Oldrottenhead

would it just be the mp3s removed with the original thread still be there or would the entire thread be removed.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pedro

Only the MP3's would be deleted not the topic and the posts, that way users could have the opportunity to ask the MP3 poster to send them the MP3 or the original poster to link the MP3 from another source.

Oldrottenhead

cool , would that make it still possible for multiple mp3 posts in the collaborations thread
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann