Uploading MP3's to the forum server will not be possible

Started by Pedro, October 23, 2009, 04:37:10 AM

Pedro

Hi guys,

Our forum is on a shared webhosting account, these are hosting accounts which are shared by other people on the same physical server. Meaning, one server to 200 or so websites. There are some rules to hosting files in these accounts (called the TOS=Terms of Service) and one of those rules is no backups allowed. I think this is what happens in the Post your MP3 board. For now nobody from the hosting company complained but our forum is growing fast (13GB of files) and I think in the future I foresee a collision course. That's why I'm going to disable the upload of files (greater than 40kb) to the server, in order to maintain a sustainable existence.

But nothing is lost! All the files that were uploaded will remain there as long as possible and the Post your MP3 board will continue but with other sources for the MP3's, like:

Uploading to Soundclick and then posting the song link
Uploading to Myspace and then posting the song link
Uploading to Skydrive (Windows Live)

Basically, you can use any file hosting service by linking to that specific MP3 file.

The MP3 tag will still be allowed, and so if you have a direct link to the MP3 file you can still play it normally.

This change is to happen in the start of November. I ask for your understanding of the situation and I'm sorry that it has to be this way.

Oldrottenhead

seems like you are a victim of your own success pedro. i would suggest anyone with a hotmail account use skydrive a lot of people might not be aware they have it but if you look along the top of your hotmail page click where it says more, this offers you more options one of which is skydrive, i think it allows you to store and share up to 6gigs of data. to allow any upload to work here, you would need to upload it to one of your public folders to allow anyone to access it, if you post it in a private folder the file will only be available to the people you  chose.

been a while since i put a link to skydrive but a while back when this site was changed all my skydrive links disappeared. also i cant remember how to connect the link, so 64  will have to do another masterclass on that for me.

with regards to collabs this might cause problems, people wont want to post  works in progress or unfinished songs at soundclick or myspace, this shouldnt be a problem for existing collaborators as most do collaborations via email, but for example recently gritter a new and very welcomed arrival, posted his space cats collab for others to added to, i presume this means its going to be difficult for future newbies to get involved in collaborations in this easy and informal way.

also one of the great things about the collab threads is watching a song develop.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

I hope we can find an easy solution to this. I anyone have access to a server that could host the files that would be great!! If not, lets together try to find places that's reliable, easy to use, available from all countries and without limits to the size of / number of / types of files that can be uploaded.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Diego Ayala

I am not sure what to think about this...  Like the setup and the ease of using and sharing material.  Although i do not mind clicking on links to listen to songs linked from other sources - it may be problematic on flipping back and forth.  40kb's -hmmmm!?

If it is a matter of memory storage, why not have a maximum storage per forum member, and after a set period of a posting the member needs to decide which songs to delete from storage to be able to add more/new songs - or something to that nature....  There may be many more solutions...

Wiley

I like that Idea Diego.  I would much rather remove the older songs to make way for the new as it is so easy to post here. That's one reason I like it here.   It may end posting for some..  I know I for one would have to get an account somewhere. Just another place to try and keep up with.

Diego Ayala

Quote from: wiley on October 23, 2009, 07:01:08 AMI like that Idea Diego.  I would much rather remove the older songs to make way for the new as it is so easy to post here. That's one reason I like it here.   It may end posting for some..  I know I for one would have to get an account somewhere. Just another place to try and keep up with.

On a follow up to my previous post ---  i was looking over the amount of postings for a number of the popular br units, and there are a lot of postings - in particular for the micro br - what if we were to limit to say 10 - 20 megs for each member for each of: their br unit site and for collabs, so could have a max of 20 to 40 megs (4 -8 songs) combined ---- then it is up to the member to do a bit of administration if more postings are desired.  And, the site administrator can crack the whip if these maximums are exceeded!

If a member wanted to introduce the same songs (that had been posted previously, but delted for space) then they can added them for the new members benefit.

Just a thought...

Oldrottenhead

i could certainly free up a lot of space as a lot of the songs i have posted appear on soundclick , so i could remove mp3s and relace with a link to the finished song.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

The Reverend 48

The MP3 facility is one of the key factors in this sites success we must find a way to keep it going...................
I am in favour of ditching the archive on say an 8 week cycle to allow us all to use the mp3 on current stuff
After all we can all download any music we want to keep
Please try and somehow keep this function as other music sites have it in some form

Wiley

I have just been checking out Soundclick.  It sounds like you cannot post Covers unless you pay a fee to the original.  That would make soundclick useless to those of us that like to do covers.Not everyone writes their own songs. That's why this place is nice, we can just play and comment. Can't seem to find anything on My Space. 

launched

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 23, 2009, 05:18:29 AM..also one of the great things about the collab threads is watching a song develop...

I agree /w Jim. Collabs has such a small impact, that maybe you should reconsider restricting that area. Just try it for a month and see how it works out. That area is a gold mine for courage and inspiration.

Also, I don't think there is a need to keep older files - Use a 30-60 day hold time. Now that there is an mp3 link feature, the people that want their music on here forever should use a link instead of uploading a file. You don't owe anybody to keep all that old clutter. Dump it.

Pedro, I do appreciate the great community that you created. It has done more for me than you will know. Please reconsider the complete clampdown.

Thank you,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover