Ok Im going to buy myself a synth but...

Started by IanForster, October 20, 2009, 03:57:27 PM

IanForster

which one to get.  Ive dabbled with vst synths in cubase occasionally but actually know next to nothing  about real ones that you can kick.

Ive got a strat a cheapo bass a BR1200 and a few effect pedals now I want to add to the sound pallete. Im wanting something to produce droney type pads and generally non trancey type sounds

Budget is pretty limited but Ive been looking at Korg micro XL and the Waldorf Blofeld, both come in at around 350 UKP.

If any of you folks have any experience of these or can recommend something that would be great.

Ian

Bluesberry

Hey Ian, I just bought a Roland SH-201 digital analog modeling synth and I am very happy with it.  It is not too bad a price, comparable to micro Korg, and others of that range ($700 Canadian) but it is the best synth out there for a newcomer to synths if you really want to learn how synths work and how to make your own sounds.  No menus, all dials and sliders for controls.  It is the most like an old school analog synth you can get for the money.  I would recomend checking it out, I am very satisfied.  I was looking at micro Korg XL  and others (Ion, etc) but this is better IMO. I am not a keyboard player, a guitarist with a BR-1200 that wants to add synth to my songs, like you.  Thats my recomendation.

Have a look here:https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4144.msg47091#msg47091

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveB

IFR - Hello there, don't know too much about synths, High-end or low. But an acquaintence of mine got one of these below (Sorry, Amazon was the only place I could think of). Maybe slightly out of your price range (unless you save up :), but, Lord, from what the friend describes its functions as (some truly wonderful sounds also), I don't think you'd EVER need another one.

SB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roland-Juno-Mobile-Synth-Player/dp/B002D111J8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256107206&sr=8-1
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 21, 2009, 01:14:28 AMif you are in the uk a roland juno d for under £300 http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/product-detail.asp?prod=2250

The Juno D is exactly what I use.  I looked into the SH-201, as BB recommended, but I wanted something with more versatility than a straight synth.  If you want tons of different synth, piano, organ, and 100s of other sounds at a pretty good quality, this is the best I've seen in this price range.  It does have a few knobs for real-time tweaking of synth sounds as well, but nothing like the SH-201.

If you want a true synthesizer and the ability to tweak every possible parameter in real time until the cows come home, the SH-201 is a great entry-level synth at mid-range to high-quality sound.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

chapperz66

Ian

You appear to be a guitarist primarily.  Unless you are convinced you want to move towards keyboards, try out a Roland GR20 guitar synth before you fully commit yourself.  The GK pickup is reasonably easy to fit to a strat, and the pallet of sounds is not bad at all.  A lot of the tracking problems that guitar synths used to have are gone.

I play both guitar and keyboards but often use the GR20.  Its not as flexible as many keyboard synths, as its effectively a "preset" instrument, but it might be easier than trying to learn another instrument.

If you give "The Vinyl Word" a listen to on my Myspace page I think that the majority of the organ, string and flute sounds were done on the GR.

Just a thought....

Paul Chapman

Davo

Get a  GT-8 and a guitar-you can do all the shoegaze stuff, and it has  synths  and guitar synth features.

A looper might help too.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

IanForster

Well it did`nt happen,  I tried a Micro Korg didnt like it at all, the blofeld was really quite good I was getting some good noises out of it.  I sat on the fence for to long and now we are moving house instead so Im unlikely to be able to afford new toys for quite awhile.

Moral of the story is strike while the irons hot.

SteveB

IFR - Aw. Well keep yer note pad handy and jot down some musings about disappointment and the ultimate revival of the human spirit!!
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Oldrottenhead

QuoteThe Juno D is exactly what I use.  I looked into the SH-201, as BB recommended, but I wanted something with more versatility than a straight synth.  If you want tons of different synth, piano, organ, and 100s of other sounds at a pretty good quality, this is the best I've seen in this price range.
my big 50 is coming up and the missus might get me one of these instead of a new guitar.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann