Kaossilator pros and cons

Started by godinqc, October 20, 2009, 10:40:21 AM

godinqc

I've been trying to catch up with all the great songs in this forum.. and I noticed that a lot of them includes the Kaossilator .. now you gave me GAS as your songs sound sooo good !!
I'm going to Montreal for the weekend and will be hiting a couple of mucis stores, what are the pros and cons of this wonderfull little gadget ..
I'm no keyboard player .. I have enough to try to be a guitar player  ;D .. but I would like to add some synth sounds to my projects .. something a la Pink Floyd "Crazy Diamond"
Do you just plug this baby into the MBR and start recording ? How do you do chords etc .. I guess my next step is to go on youtube to see some examples
Just looking for feebdack  ..
Thanks in advance
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

danieldesete

I can't bend my left thumb like that  ;)
hou hou ha ha

OsCKilO

Wow....

It is very bent.....

Must be from to Much Kaossolation....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Davo

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

godinqc

Ok the Kaossilator will be for later .. I purchased a Korg NanoKey instead for about $60 CDN
This little thing is amazing .. I'm no keybaord player but just doing the major/minor chords sound pretty good for now .. I will try to find time to record sometimg on the MBR using the Nanokey ..

Will let you know the results .. Salut  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

tony

Can someone help me sort out the difference between the Kaosillator and the Korg Pad Kontrol, please?  The obvious difference is the pads but is the x-y controller on the Pad Kontrol the same as on the Kaosillator?  If so, what is the advantage of the Kaosillator over the Pad Kontrol?

64Guitars

Quote from: tony on October 24, 2009, 06:40:09 PMCan someone help me sort out the difference between the Kaosillator and the Korg Pad Kontrol, please?  The obvious difference is the pads but is the x-y controller on the Pad Kontrol the same as on the Kaosillator?  If so, what is the advantage of the Kaosillator over the Pad Kontrol?

For starters, the padKONTROL is only a midi controller. That means that it doesn't actually produce any sounds. Instead, it sends commands to your computer or an external hardware sound generator via midi, and that device creates the sound. The KAOSSILATOR, on the other hand, is a synthesiser with its own built-in sound generator. You can connect it directly to an amplifier, or to the LineIn of the BR, and it will produce sound without the need of a computer or any other hardware.

The padKONTROL is mainly meant for playing drum sounds via a computer or other midi sound generator, although it can do more if properly programmed.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

tony

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 24, 2009, 07:44:46 PM
Quote from: tony on October 24, 2009, 06:40:09 PMCan someone help me sort out the difference between the Kaosillator and the Korg Pad Kontrol, please?  The obvious difference is the pads but is the x-y controller on the Pad Kontrol the same as on the Kaosillator?  If so, what is the advantage of the Kaosillator over the Pad Kontrol?

For starters, the padKONTROL is only a midi controller. That means that it doesn't actually produce any sounds. Instead, it sends commands to your computer or an external hardware sound generator via midi, and that device creates the sound. The KAOSSILATOR, on the other hand, is a synthesiser with its own built-in sound generator. You can connect it directly to an amplifier, or to the LineIn of the BR, and it will produce sound without the need of a computer or any other hardware.

The padKONTROL is mainly meant for playing drum sounds via a computer or other midi sound generator, although it can do more if properly programmed.

I feel silly now because that was something I should have realised.  Thanks for clarifying that.

But is there a difference in the x-y controller or is it the same thing inserted in the different hardware?

Davo

I wish I knew more about electronic music, midi and controllers are things I know nothing about.

I just know I love old analog synth sounds.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe