Share your setup.

Started by waynesan76, May 27, 2008, 02:54:51 AM

waynesan76

The reason I wanted to post this is that we might learn a little bit from the way that each of us sets up our own particular gear. I'd like to learn some tricks and maybe someone can learn something from me. If you have any suggestions, let's hear it. Anyhow, here it is:

My setup is suited for bedroom recording and jamming.

This is all my gear in one little corner in my bedroom.

All the gear I have cost less than $2,500. I know some of you have one single guitar that's more expensive, but some people have to do the real work to make a living :)
I have everything I need to be a one man bedroom band.

Mexican Strat w/ Gilmour EMGs and Floyd Rose trem
Fender Super Champ XD and Vibro Champ XD (AB/Y by Morley)
Alesis SR-16 drum machine
Sony ECM-970 condenser mic w/stand

Two small tube amps (5w and 15w) are essential to great sound and not pissing off the neighbors and/or wife. Switching between the two allows for a great range of sounds. The upgraded Mex Strat does just fine.

Boss EQ and noise suppressor
Digitech delay and reverb
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Fulltone "Clyde" wah
Visual Sound Rt 66 OD

I've tried MANY fx pedals only to return/sell the ones that didn't cut it. If you play blues/rock/country, these wont dissapoint.

Also pictured are a Squier Jazz Bass, Squier acoustic guitar (purchased in Iraq) and a Stafford acoustic/electric guitar. I run all these through an Acoustic AB50 acoustic bass amp.

All of my amps have line outs that fit nicely into the line in of my MBR.
I couldn't be happier with any of the gear I have. If anyone has questions I'd be happy to respond. Now let's see your stuff and learn some tips for home studio use!

Cheers
Wayne

jkevinwolfe

Mine is bare bones: A mic stand with the Micro mounted on top, a pair for Sennheiser HD280 Studio Monitor headphones and a Kramer Ferrington Guitar. Works well for my needs. I also have a Casio Privia keyboard but haven't found I have needed to add it to the mix yet.

Kevin

waynesan76

That's a good idea for a BR stand. Is that a mini songbook attachment? If so, where can I get one?

Mr. Scar

Quote from: jkevinwolfe on May 27, 2008, 10:45:54 AMMine is bare bones: A mic stand with the Micro mounted on top, a pair for Sennheiser HD280 Studio Monitor headphones and a Kramer Ferrington Guitar. Works well for my needs. I also have a Casio Privia keyboard but haven't found I have needed to add it to the mix yet.

Kevin

Cool looking guitar. Are you afraid that heavy headphone chord is gonna crap out you phone jack?

jkevinwolfe

Wayne,
It's made by Raxxess and is model AMSS. I bought it at Sam Ash for $20. Details of how to put set it up are in this thread: https://songcrafters.org/community/recording/mastering/0/.

Mr. Scar,
I have only had the headphones a few days and hadn't figured out a way yet to relieve stress from the cord. After your kind concern for my jack, I just looped the coil around back and laid it across the arm that holds the phones when they're not in use. Seems a simple solution.

The Kramer Ferrington guitar was a wonderful anomoly of rock and roll. It was designed by Danny Ferrington, a Nashville luthier who became known for his unique designs. He somewhat ashamedly was branded "luthier to the stars." But many real folks, like Clapton, Pete Townshend and Elvis Costello play Ferringtons. Back when Kramer was the talk of the guitar world in the '80's and they made everything Eddie Van Halen owned, they built this for the rocker who wanted to add an acoustic to his or her stage act. That happened just before they filed for bankruptcy. It appears to the the first real rock hybrid guitar that has an acoustic body and plays like an electric. It has a stock Kramer electric neck, which has incredibly low action at the nut.

I bought it new in '87 and somehow have managed not to destroy it. I recently brought it out of storage, replaced the aging Shadow pickup with one they still had at the factory, tamed the primitive piezo sound with a buffer I added to the pickup, and fitted it with nylon strings. (I think I need to make an appointment with PsychMusic to address my complex for wanting to put nylon strings on everything.) Fortunately it hasn't suffered environmental mistreatment, so humidifying is all that was needed to revive it past that.

This was not an expensive guitar, though they're becoming collector's items now. It was made in Korea at a time when the Koreans were trying to show the Japanese up with their quality. It has an primitive piezo "quack" to it and a harpsicord-like sound. I have been looking for something to replace it with, but haven't found anything that's hollow with electric action that can be played acoustically for composing and played to yield both acoustic and electric sounds in the Micro. I have considered the Godin Multiac Slim, but haven't be able to find a music store within 200 miles of me that has one to try out.

Oh, was I rambling on about my guitar?

Kevin

waynesan76

Thanks for the reply Kevin. That's a cool attachment. There's a good chance I'll purchase one as it seems my drum machine will fit on it nicely as well. And don't worry about the rambling, it is a pretty cool looking guitar and it's also unique. Have you posted any sound files using it?

jkevinwolfe

I am embarrassed to say no. I have a metal boogie number that's coming together and hope to post it in the near future. The guitar has a unique sound that I have worked hard to disguise with the effects in the Micro. I also have worked up a few effects that enhance the sound of the bridge piezo pickup quite nicely.

Kevin 

SteveG

Epi SG (Korean), Aria Pro2 bass, Dean Markley acoustic, Crap cans and a pathetic laptop, faulty Marshall 15w amp and the MBR. My wish list is far longer  ;)

Redler

Here's mine Micro BR stand. I glued two pieces of wood and set it on the guitar stand. It is just on the right height. When I need to take Micro BR away, I just place my guitar back on its stand.

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

hewhoiscalledj

Heres a pic of my music room with most of my gear in it. These days, most of my gear is at the practice studio but here it is in all it's glory.

:D

For the most part, the MBR is used for recording band sessions for the purpose of songwriting and practice. We use a little Sony mic thats been discussed here in multiple threads. It works brilliantly. Anyway, here's a rundown of my gear.

Laney VH100R amp, Marshall 1960 cab, in the rack are Furman PC, Alesis MidiverbIII, Korg tuner, BBE. I play Epiphone Les Pauls, 335/Dot, AJ200SCE and an Alvarez acoustic of unknown model. That's my live playing gear. I mess around with Boss drum machines, a little GK bass amp, and various effect pedals that never make it on stage. I keep it pretty simple. Oh, the PA is a Soundcraft Gigrac600 and a pair of Carvin 15" monitors (usually on stands). And a Yamaha keyboard that i use solely for transcribing stuff from my head to guitar or vice versa.