collabs?

Started by Glenn Mitchell, October 08, 2009, 09:40:16 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: Gritter on October 08, 2009, 03:48:13 PMThis thread should be on the general discussion board.  :P

Good point. Moving it there now.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

I see the points here, but I would just like to throw down a couple more things:

1. I don't think the BR Music post sections are limited to single individuals. Where would andrewh (Tangled Wires) and Jemima's Kite go? Certainly not collabs. And another thing is that it's not really a collab anymore when you play with the same people all the time.

2. There is a lot of action in collabs - I can personally attest to this. The only problem: The collab post is a disheveled mess when the song is finished. If anybody has a solution for that, maybe something could be worked out. The finished product should be separated from the "worksheet". Or the poster should be able to lock it when it's over. No point in having somebody stamp their kazoo over a carefully crafted guitar track months later. A new post should be created.

3. We could just not say it's a collab, and then honorably mention the person that can play a better guitar solo to help a little bit with the song. I'm just proud of the people I work with and want to say it out loud.

Just my thoughts - Thanks for listening everybody!!

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

I think there are good reasons for both sides, and what the desciption says can be interpreted either way imho. The question should be how do we want it to be.

For me there's a difference between the process of collaboration and the finished product. I think the collab board is great for the first, but from experience now so good for the latter. One thing is the exposure. Another is that the posts during the collab is of another nature than the posting of a finished product that's posted for review.

One solution could be to create another board for the finished collabs, but I'm not sure that's what we want. I also think it's a good thing that newcomers can see that there is possible to collab on many levels, and with many different people. The mbr-bord is a good advertising space for that.

Previewing this I see Mark has said much of the same as I have  .....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony W

I can't agree more with Launched and Geir on this.

the collabs section is a mess to sort through, and finished products would be a bear to find.

I've always loved seeing the collabs right in the midst of the rest of the posts, but then THAT is how I use the forum. I like to find posts and leave comments. People work hard on their music and deserve to be listened to. I listen to everything that I can and comment on as much.

Individual efforts go no less noted than a collab in my opinion. Look at the number of views on random posts. collabs are not taking away from individual efforts at all.

The only real way to have any resolve if people are upset about collabs in the MBR forum would be to create another forum, which is easy, and call it finished collabs. Don't mix it in with the "in progress" stuff.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

Quote from: launched on October 08, 2009, 04:17:00 PMI see the points here, but I would just like to throw down a couple more things:

1. I don't think the BR Music post sections are limited to single individuals. Where would andrewh (Tangled Wires) and Jemima's Kite go? Certainly not collabs. And another thing is that it's not really a collab anymore when you play with the same people all the time.

I agree Mark, although there is two of us producing the music as a band, I don't class it as a collabaration as our singer is not a member of this forum and I haven't, to date, collabarated with any fellow members of this site. I guess I am posting our music as a single BR user.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Quote from: andrewh on October 08, 2009, 05:19:30 PM... and I haven't, to date, collabarated with any fellow members of this site...

We'll just have to change that some time, won't we???  :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Tangled Wires

Quote from: launched on October 08, 2009, 05:40:41 PM
Quote from: andrewh on October 08, 2009, 05:19:30 PM... and I haven't, to date, collabarated with any fellow members of this site...

We'll just have to change that some time, won't we???  :D

I (we!!) am up for that!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Quote from: andrewh on October 08, 2009, 05:42:11 PM
Quote from: launched on October 08, 2009, 05:40:41 PM

We'll just have to change that some time, won't we???  :D

I (we!!) am up for that!!

Excellent!!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

I agree with the above.  The colabs section should be where we post backers that we may put leads over, if somebody has something that they want something added on to (inviting a colab), colabs in progress, music asking for a singer, looking for lead guitar of harmonica, etc.  Once the song is finished it should be posted in the Boss machine section that was the predominant machine used.  If most used microBRs. then it should go in the microBR Post your work section.  What would you do if a few friends came over and you made up a colab, where would you post it, micreBR spot of course.  Colabs section should be for unfinished colabs only.  That is my opinion.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Okay folks. You've convinced me. Unless Pedro has any objections, let's use Collabs for offers of collaboration and collaborative works in progress. Finished collaborations can be posted in the "Post your MP3" board. After posting the finished collab in "Post your MP3", I think it would be a good idea to post a message in the Collab board topic saying that the song is finished and providing a link to the finished song in "Post your MP3". It might also be a good idea to post a link from the finished song in "Post your MP3" back to the Collabs board topic it came from in case anyone wants to read about how the song developed.

There's still the problem of which "Post your MP3" board to use when a collab involves users of several different BR models. I said a long time ago that I'd prefer a single board for "Post your MP3" instead of child boards for each model. We're all BR users, regardless of which model we use, and we can all learn from each other. I don't see any benefit to segregation by model.  Oh! I just had an idea! The child boards all belong to a parent board called "Post your MP3". It currently contains no messages but there's no reason why we can't post there. So, any finished collabs that involve multiple BR models can be posted there. Problem solved!

Arggggh!!! I spoke too soon. I just had a closer look at the parent "Post your MP3" board and discovered that it doesn't allow attachments! I'll email Pedro and see if he can either fix that or give us some clarification on where we should post finished collabs, especially those involving multiple BR models.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website