A good tip for using the Tuner on the MBR

Started by StevieM, October 07, 2009, 10:00:25 AM

StevieM

This is something I found quite useful today.
I turned the MBR on, selected 'tuner', but it didn't seem to be working---only came up as 'G', on every string.
"Bugger!!!!" I thought, " It's broken". I checked all the volumes on everything were working, wobbled the leads about and stuff, but then I solved it ;D.

I plugged the bloody guitar lead in :-[
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Tony W

I had a similar problem last night. The tuner was working fine. but nothing was coming through the cans. Made sure all the connections were right. After 10 minutes of frustration I realized that headphone extension cable was plugged into the MBR, but came out of the cans.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Davo

It also helps to use the neck pup with the tone rolled all the way back when tuning-less overtones to confuse it that way.  Also pick over the 12th fret.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AndyR

Quote from: Davo on October 07, 2009, 12:17:22 PMIt also helps to use the neck pup with the tone rolled all the way back when tuning-less overtones to confuse it that way.  Also pick over the 12th fret.

Now that is interesting. For years I've been using bridge with tone wide open (ever since I learnt relative tuning using harmonics don't work on a strat neck pickup)... works fine on many tuners, including the MBR for me, but I've been having awful trouble with the tuner in my VOX Tonelab LE - the one I use most!!  I'll give a go tonite...

But otherwise, StevieM, Tony W, been there, done it :D  Anyone else done the "wot's going on??!" and then discovered it's actually the other guitar plugged in...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Wiley

Tony W

The other guitar... been there done that too. USB cable unplugged from the computer, that one always gets me too.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Quote from: AndyR on October 09, 2009, 06:10:18 AM
Quote from: Davo on October 07, 2009, 12:17:22 PMIt also helps to use the neck pup with the tone rolled all the way back when tuning-less overtones to confuse it that way.  Also pick over the 12th fret.

Now that is interesting. For years I've been using bridge with tone wide open (ever since I learnt relative tuning using harmonics don't work on a strat neck pickup)... works fine on many tuners, including the MBR for me, but I've been having awful trouble with the tuner in my VOX Tonelab LE - the one I use most!!  I'll give a go tonite...

UPDATE: Classic stuff Davo :) it works perfectly - many, many thanks :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Geir

If you by pickin over the 12th fret mean using the harmonic there, I do that too, especially on the E A and D strings. I think I may have to do with the frequency, the tuner is "counting" every zero-passing of the waveform, and higher freq gives more passings and thereby a higher accuracy. Also the basictone to harmonic tones ratio improves I think. that's also the reason rolling off the tone helps I think
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Davo

Quote from: AndyR on October 10, 2009, 07:30:58 AM
Quote from: AndyR on October 09, 2009, 06:10:18 AM

UPDATE: Classic stuff Davo :) it works perfectly - many, many thanks :)
Dont thank me, thats an old Steve Albini trick.  I cant remember where I found the article but to use a tuner for acoustics, you can place a pair of headphones over the top and back of an acoustic, plug it into the line in jack, and play-you will get a signal that can be used to tune the acoustic.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sprocket

I find this tuner to be very accurate and consistent, so much so that this is the tuner I go for when doing intonations.
That 12th fret harmonic does work nicely if the guitar is intonated properly.
Fret the 12th fret after tuning the open note...is the 12th fret also intune?
Adjust the saddles if not.
Then find "A" on every string, fret that and make adjustments accordingly.
Now tuning that 12th harmonic will be very accurate.