Beyond The Shore (Original)

Started by Bluesberry, October 04, 2009, 11:55:42 AM

SteveB

BB - Blanket adulation is not good for any artist. Because you have taken 40+ hours to create a 5 minute song will be immaterial to at least 99% of the listening audience, and SteveB, Bluesberry, and every other Poster on this Forum would do well to remember that. If it had taken you 200+ hours to put the song together you would do that, because that is what Artists' do. You know how my posts work: I am not critical for the sake of being critical, and I try to balance my opinon before making a post. As I have commented (as a songwriter and musician), there is a lot of good work in this song, which will obviously reveal further textures on repeated listenings. As a music-buyer however, I have to sum-up thus: Big songs need big hooks. And I'm afraid there just aren't enough in this song to justify the indulgence. However, as I also point out, I would rather listen to one of these a week from you in the 1200 section than none at all.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bluesberry

Thanks for that Steve, I'll keep that in mind about "big hooks" and all that stuff, I was really experimenting to see if I had the ability to even create a song like this and see it through, and for that I am pleased, I was unsure of how it sounded as a finished product and if it held together, I am still not totally sure about that part, but I am pleased about getting something of this magnitude finished.  Anyway, thanks for your honest opinion, I am seeking honest opinions on here after all.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

Steve I'm actually insulted by both of your posts. Indulgence? That's a pretty smug description, then followed up with the definition just to push the point. I cringed both times you posted that word.

Music is personal. I don't love a song based on how it makes others feel. The objective of the song was clearly stated. The goal was met. Read the rest of the replies. By the way I care about how much time and effort went into the song, not just from an educational standpoint but the devotion it takes to deliver.

As a music buyer, big songs need big hooks? no. I don't recall having to pay to listen to this or any other post on this site. This is a gift shared amongst kindred spirits. There is nothing more honest than bearing your soul, and nothing leaves you more vulnerable.

indulgence? no. A culmination of talent, drive, dedication, effort and love. The equipment didn't make the music, the musician did.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StevieM

Right, I'm the one posting after 1 listen! It certainly won't be ONLY one though, there's waaaay too much in here for that. Same as I listen to Pink Floyd over and over again!!!
 Self indulgent? possibly. But who gives a f*ck if it is?? It's just great
No 'hook'? So what????  Just listen to a lot of Roger Waters/ Beefheart/Zappa ( and loads of others).
 For someone still struggling to get one bad to mediocre lead down over a backer, then maybe adjusting track vol/pan-----this is incredible!!!!

It REALLY needs to be extended to a 15/20 min track!!!!!
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Pine

Holy musical journey Dave! This is an epic recording voyage  :o I read all the posts. You have ignited a bit of controversy. Bob Dylan and i are proud of you. 40 hours+? man...you and Bosko should get like the Golden Patience Awards. I could never do that. I agree with all the others...way too much here to digest in one listen...but i can say that the best part of it all for me is that you did it. You. Just you. No band, producer, fancy recording studio. It's a musical painting and if folks like it or don't, it's yours. A labor of love...frustrating , overwhelming, a learning experience, a confidence builder, and in the end, satisfying for you i hope.
I liked the intro (simple and easy going down) and i loved the outro (your playing is superb) All the changes in between are like a highly edited video..too much there to digest in one listen. Hats off to ya BB for tackling such an ambitious project and pulling it off.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

fenderbender

thats s..t hot -top of the heap -theres a whole album's worth stuffed into a couple of minutes
 I take my hat off to you -top class ---
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

OsCKilO

All I did was post a Load of awesome Stickers.......

I feel that I need to explain why Now......

We are a Community of musicians.....

We Speak to each other and seek advice about improving........

BB.... I Hear this track for what it is......

You stepped out of the box and wanted to see if you could pull off such a feat....

You certainly did!  With Prog Bells on!!!

This track takes you form one genre of Music to another, seamlessly!
And it showcases your talent perfectly! 8)

I know that BB lacks confidence sometimes with his music.... (Unduly I might add, because he is a F*cking Awesome Musician!!!!!)

This was a right of passage for the BB!

He G.A.S'ed  out and has gotten to grips with all his toys!!!!! FAST!!!!!  And has this track to Prove it! 8)

This track is a treat for Musicians To listen to!!!!
I have a short attention span.... (What was I Saying....?)

This is a treat to Listen to!  ;) ;D

And Great for Introducing People like me (With very little musical education) to other styles!....

With this said, SteveB is entitled to Give an Honest Opinion.....

It helps us get Better!

He wasn't Rude........... Just said what he was Thinking, and shaped his comment in the way that he appreciates Music (as a Buyer and a musician, Giving tips as to what would get your music noticed).....

And He also Invested his time to do so!
His Honesty is an asset to the forum.......

We all want a review! He took the time out of his day to do one.....!
Bad reviews (Not that his was.....  He Just Forgot To mention How Tasty all the ingredients were..) Help us improve!

Indulgent= A lot of Good stuff, all at once....

There is a lot of Awesome Stuff in this.....  All at once......

I know BB....

BB is showcasing his talent for the community! Nothing wrong with that....

This Track = Awesome + Awesome+ Awesome + Awesome  in the space of 5 minutes......
You are a greedy Bugger BB!!!!!!  Lol

Too Much Talent!!!!!!!

This was something that BB needed to Do!

A craftsman needs to know his tools!

Now he Knows them!

The Man is a Genius Musician/Artist!!!!

Go and make some more art BB!!!!!!

You Rock F*cking Hard!!!!!!!!

Peace

T(Osckilo)

P.S

Your Voice was great in this!  It has really become stronger!!!!!

And Why was there no Harmonica section......

Lazy! ;) ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

SteveB

If Bluesberry wishes to act positively on some critical advice, he will one day produce big songs with big hooks which may interest some of the music-buying public outside this Forum, (Who will genuinely not give a sh*t how long it took him to produce the goods). If however he wishes to get uptight and insulted by the word 'indulgence', then he will not survive the harsh realities of the music biz.
I stand by all I have written about this and other songs. I listen to the songs and I form my opinion - I don't read other people's opinions, they have no bearing on mine. If that irks some people then so be it. I try to be as honest as I can, and if I find something I genuinely don't like (only a couple so far on this Forum), I will not comment.
Thank you Osckillo for your perspective, you make some valid points.

To the two who have sent me PMs agreeing, if half-heartedly, please, don't hide behind me. If you have something to say, go public or keep quiet.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bluesberry

I thank everybody for their opinions, I enjoy getting the feedback, it is how I continue to grow as a musician.  I am slowly figuring out all the tools I have and how to make the music in my head come out into finished songs, which is very exciting.  My songs are indulgent, I take no offence at that word SteveB, it is what it is.  I have no illusions of selling my music I'm afraid, it is all for my enjoyment, and I also get much enjoyment when I post something and find out that other folks on here also like it.  Judging by the amount of feedback I have gotten on this one I would say I have done good (even if it is a little quirky and not to everybody's taste).  It may not be perfect, a little messy, too many changes, not long enough, not enough hooks (whatever that means), etc, etc, but it is something that came from my imagination, through my fingers and vocal chords, out into the world.  It is a musical sketch that represents some of my own musical tastes and values, nothing more, nothing too complicated.  I created it, some folks liked what I did, I like to listen back to it, and now I can move on with more confidence and ideas and create another one.  Thats why I love making songs and posting on here, its all good.  Thanks for all the comments everybody.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

I don't recall BB using the word insulted, however I did. And I didn't like the word indulgence. Yeah, I even mentioned that everything on this site is free, so the music biz.. I believe those points should have been directed towards me not BB, who took the high road. I apologize for that Dave.

With that noted, SteveB I had no business commenting on your opinion, point of view, or concept on how music should be composed or performed. You are as entitled to your opinion as much as anyone, and at times I lose focus of that. I sincerely apologize.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR