Beyond The Shore (Original)

Started by Bluesberry, October 04, 2009, 11:55:42 AM

Bluesberry

Now that feels good, thanks for the comments.  I had no idea with this one if it worked or not, it was a lot of work, but did it hold together, I was way too close to it to tell, I was very nervous posting this.  I set out to go as complex as I could muster but keep a simple song underneath.  So I set out on my journey, multiple key changes, multiple tempo changes, multiple moods and instrumentation, what the hell do I do with all this.  I was trying to squeeze a lot of ideas and moods into one 5 minute song, I could have easily stretched these ideas out for 15 minutes, but the my goal was to stay within 5 minutes and make it hold together, that was the idea, plus I wanted the feeling of folk, blues rock, 70's prog, 80's synth rock all rolled into one.  I am humbled that you guys liked it, thank you, I can relax now.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

This is a mind blowing mix of music. I'm waiting for the guy who listens once to post. I'm on the 5th listen right now and I'm still picking up new stuff every time. I'm surprised you didn't have some running water through a faucet just so you could add "kitchen sink" to the list of gear used.

I'll be playing this randomly through the day today Dave, outstanding job! I'm proud to know you!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Another listen - It just keeps getting better and better!!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

SteveB

BB - Well the song certainly is complex, and you must be applauded for attempting such a feat in the first place. There are quite a few very good points to the song overall, however I have to register that I suspect there was an element of indulgence here also: because I have it, I'll use it. (No doubt I'll be rebuked for such an opinion, but I rarely proffer a point of view that I'm not prepared to stand by).
The outro for instance could be worked on to be an out and out rocker on its own, and a very good one too. The middle section (Without drums) may well become jarring on repeated listens to the full song. Having said that, as a possible album track it really does have a lot to commend it. The panning techniques from the middle section work very well, as do the acoustic guitar beginning, and the usual level of intriguing lyrics that we've become used to expecting in your previous songs are there also. I would of course rather have more of these from you than none at all, esp in the dearth-valley that is the 1200 section. But I have to repeat my contention, that songs of this depth and involvement really need more to hold the listener in, rather than being an exercise for the producer.

recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Tony W

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4589.msg55663#msg55663

I'd say mission accomplished. When I get around to writing music, I'm writing it for myself, then sharing it with others... completely secondary. I too am a believer in if I've got it use it.

10th listen, and I'm still intrigued.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Redler

Well well well...

I just listened it three times in a row and this is the stuff that needs several listening times to open. It is also ambitious build a tune of that many parts. It is a pity, I'm at my job now and these speakers are not really made for music listening. I'll listen this again tomorrow at home. As I said; more listening...

Dave, can you estimate how long time you spent in recording? I feel you are a real PRO to use your BR-1200. Sounds, drums and everything are on right places and you play very well!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Wiley

I will say BB that you do have an imagination!   I have my keyboard and it has all kinds of sounds.  I don't even think of trying to come up with something like this. You do have many layers going on.  I like it. Hang onto that imagination.  I especially liked your guitar playing at the end.  Great job! And keep the juices flowing.
P.J.

Oldrottenhead

i can relate to this one re missing posts, been going deep trawling through past posts to make a song list, all sorts of memories good and bad rise to the surface again, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, at least we know geir is there to resuscitate us when we come back up for air.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Thanks again, As for your question Redler, this song all started from a funny discussion between Geir and myself about "missing Posts" (see here) and I took up the challenge to write a song about this, and I decided to write it as a "Prog-rock" song.  I mentioned that it would be my weekend project, that was Sept 18.  So I started, 4 hours to lay down the basic rhythm tracks of the sections using piano, and acoustic guitar, 4 hours polishing and mixing in these sections into a coherent whole, 4 hours laying down the rocking middle and outro sections with my Tele, 2 hours laying down a bass track, 3 hours mixing/bouncing and adding synth bits, 6 hours setting up the drum track (this was the hardest part for sure, with the tempo changes and mood changes), 3 hours more mixing and adding more synth, 4 hours writing lyrics and practice singing, 3 hours recording the vocals and more mixing/bouncing, 4 hours laying down the E-guitar solos and adding other E-guitar to the mix, 2 hours final mixing and agonizing over the mix, 2 more hours second guessing and general insecurity (cured by a few Red Ales), 1 hour final mastering and posting on here, whew that adds up to 42 hours (give or take an hour, all squeezed in after work and a bit on the weekends, whenever I could spare an hour or two) and two weeks later.  Damn time consuming writing songs like this.  Osckilo is on a 45 minute songwriting challenge, mine is the 45 hour challenge  ;D.  And SteveB, your comment about this song having an element of indulgence, all I can say is you are right.  Damn straight this song is indulgent, after all, I was trying to create a "Prog-rock" song, indulgence is a very important ingredient to prog-rock, without indulgence there would be no prog-rock.  40+ hours to create a 5 minute song, with multiple key changes and multiple tempo changes, singing about going up into a dream mountain to read a red book which represents my soul, this is the most indulgent song I have ever wrote, so you are right.  I don't know any other way to make a song like this.  Now this song has whetted my appitite for more indulgence like this, so just look out folks, I hope you will indulge me in the future by listening to more along these lines.  Thanks again for the interest in this song everybody, I relly apreciate the comments, I had no idea what I had here when finished, and hearing that you all can dig this one makes me feel real good, like I am on the right track (indulgence and all).  Thanks.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Redler

Hat off to you, Dave! I guessed it right that this isn't one or not even  five hour stuff. I appreciate your stubborn attitude. And your song...I listened it just two times more from my stereo speakers and it (of course) the sounds were better, but the tune has become also better and better as prog song should be!

Maybe I'll comment my experiences about BR-1200 to the thread you start last summer...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR