Quick question - strings

Started by xicpanad, October 04, 2009, 06:05:39 AM

Davo

Quote from: Ted on October 21, 2009, 12:45:07 PM
Quote from: Davo on October 08, 2009, 12:19:36 AMLighter strings help, but you may need a truss rod adjustment.

What Davo said.  On my acoustic, I used to go back and forth between medium and light gauge.  Mediums are louder, lights are easier to play.  Ever since I bought my Telecaster, I mostly keep mediums on my acoustic because it's what I use when I play open mic's and I need the volume.

I also have to acknowledge that I don't practice enough, and that's a good part of the reason that the acoustic is harder on my wimpy fingertips.
Try bluegrass/medium-light guages-they may be the best of both worlds.

Also, play heavy guitars more-it builds character.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Rickocaster

Without knowing what your electronics are, it's hard to say, but if you have a piezo pickup the Elixers work pretty well and are easy on your fingers. I use 11s on mine.
http://www.youtube.com/rickocaster
Come on, you know you want to go there...

chapperz66

I'm a wimpy electric guitar player so I really struggle with heavy strings on an acoustic.  I use Rotosound Country Gold strings on my old Ovation.  These are available online in superlight gauge - .009 to .048 which is pretty much the same gauge as I use on my strats (.009 to .046 Ernie Ball hybrid slinkys).

Acoustic purists will tell you (quite correctly) that you lose tone and projection when using lighter gauge strings.  On the other hand you said you wanted to reduce volume.  As for tone, unless you are doing lots of live acoustic work I would suggest that playing comfort could be more important.  This could well be a contentious view! 

Why would anyone want to make it hard for themselves?  As the other guys have said though, be prepared to get the truss rod sorted if you drop gauge significantly.

Paul Chapman

chapperz66

Oh - and also I'm a 50 year old with the early signs of arthritis in my hands - particularly in my little fingers.  Character building is great, but pain I can do without!

Paul Chapman

robsmith

Hello,

I use medium gauge flat wounds on my ES-125, Mediums on the D15 and Lights on the Seagull.  The Seagullk is what I take camping, the lighter gauge strings are more forgiving, especially after a few beers round the fire. I take the D15 to jams, thus the mediums.  I like the flat wounds on the ES, cool jazzy tone ...  I bought a set of Dean Markley GoldPhos to try on the D15, I have been using Martin, but they seem to go dead pretty quick (even the extended play and wiping the strings when done).  I use D'addario Light EXP's on the Seagull. If anyone has any opinions on their favorite Acoustic string, I would be interested in hearing them...

All of my guitars have been to a qualified luthier for adjustment.  Wow! What a difference it made. The D15 needed to be setup (and replaced the nut with bone), it's a completely different guitar (in a good way).  The ES needed to be refretted and setup, plays like a dream now ...

If you sight down the edge of the neck and see a noticable bow, you need a truss rod adjustment.  I recently bought all of the truss rod wrenches that I need to adjust my guitars (stewmac.com).  The adjustment is pretty easy if you have the correct tool (some are recessed in the body, some are very easy to get to).  If you are unsure, take it to any decent shop and they should be able to adjust it for you.  If the action is still incredibly high, there may be other problems, or requires shaving the nut and / or saddle (if acoustic).  I consider these adjustments to be out of my league, I would take it to a luthier at that point.  Electrics are a little easier, most have adjustable saddles and intonation.

Just my two cents,

Bob