How folks are making space for creativity in their lives

Started by Geir, October 01, 2009, 11:15:23 AM

Speed Demon

My recording stuff.
eBand JS-8, DR-880 drum machine, cordless headphones, Shure SM-58, two iPods and computer.

That's Geir's smiley face gazing upon you from the computer screen.
Dang! I always thought he was larger than that.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Farrell Jackson

Like Bruno mentioned, I find that some new gear is usually a songwriting motivator for me. Since my space is getting too cluttered with amps and guitars (also expensive) I've gone to purchasing smaller items like effects boxes. Here's a studio shot of a portion on my effects chair after a session, lol.

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

fenderbender

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

dasilvasings

MindBender-FenderBender!

Farrell, what great collection you have there!

I think I need time, not so much because of TIME (minutes, hours), but more to take off all the pressure. I can't stand this "I'm alone at home for 2 hours, I got to play and be creative", so I usually tend to do more covers than originals.

My last proper original was "Love-Terror" I made 2 years during holidays, feeling extremely relaxed.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Speed Demon

Farrell, I can empathize with your lack-of-space problem so in an effort to assist a fellow musician I am willing to store all your guitars at my home, where they will receive the very best of care. Really.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

64Guitars

Quote from: dasilvasings on August 15, 2013, 11:00:16 AMI think I need time, not so much because of TIME (minutes, hours), but more to take off all the pressure. I can't stand this "I'm alone at home for 2 hours, I got to play and be creative", so I usually tend to do more covers than originals.

I'm the same. I need unlimited time to work on a recording so that my mind is not distracted by something I need to do an hour or two later. I also find that I work best at night. So I often start a project just after supper and work on it all night. But I usually only do that if I know that the next day is free of commitments because I know that I probably won't finish the song that night and will need the next day to continue working on it. If I start a project and have to leave it to do something else, I find it hard to return to that project later. That's something I'm experiencing right now as I started a project for SuggestFest in June and haven't been able to return to it. I have a lot of unfinished projects like that (many of which were for festivals). I seem to need to stay with a project from start to end in a continuous, uninterrupted time span. Otherwise, it will most likely be abandoned. I just seem to lose my enthusiasm and start thinking about other songs I'd rather do instead. I find it really hard to return to old projects and finish them after an interruption. It doesn't take much. Just a day or two away from the project and I'll find it really hard to return to it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

I'm always trying to challenge my songwriting abilities, most recently with the drum track first method but time is always the problem. I've pretty much removed recording from the home and during the summer I don't have the consistent car time like I do during the school year so Nissan Studios closes down. However I should be back behind the wheel come September! New instruments always do it for me but sadly my last purchase was some broken bagpipes.
Record On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Burtog

Well for me I've had a number of weeks off from doing any recording eventhough I have some suggestions from other songcrafters to do, AND I do want to do them!

Been to Spain for a bit and am feeling a bit guilty for not commenting or participating on the site for a while, so I'm getting my head into starting something/listening in the next couple of days.

For the first time in a while I do not have any GAS if you know what I mean  ;), but the missus and I are considering buying an ipad to replace our laptop which is becoming unreliable. That will definately be opening some new recording opportunities but must get in to those suggestions first.................focus!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

IanR

My advice is to get some lessons.

My son and I have a guitar lesson every Sunday morning with a young guitar teacher.  Sometimes we learn to play a song, which always leads to learning something new about music theory or a technique. Or sometimes we do songwriting, or we might practice learning how to do inversions or explore a different position on the neck or a mode.  It keeps things fresh.  Practicing what I learn each week often leads to new songs. And I think that it will be a long time before we run out of things to learn.

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Mike_S

Working from home but busy enough most of the time. so not too much time really but when I get through a load of work and find i have nothing to do i often start a track in the middle of the afternoon when no one is about (wife works). Then I have to try and find time to finish it. this often happens when I have a day / day and a half free on a weekend which isn't often as other half normally has all our weekends planned and choc full of lovely chores.

So basically its not easy finding a window to do a song but somehow I am still able to steal a few hours here and there and manage at least a song a month normally
recorder
iPad GarageBand