How folks are making space for creativity in their lives

Started by Geir, October 01, 2009, 11:15:23 AM

Davo

I record in the bathroom and closet.  The closet especially acts as a natural iso room, with ma clothes soaking up any reverb.

I keep my MBR ready next to my bed so I can get my ideas down quickly.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ferryman

I haven't. The last 2-3 weeks have been so busy I have been working every minute that I haven't been doing something with the family (including weekends and evenings), so there has been no time at all for any music. Frustrating, but I'm not complaining (much).

The only time I have had time for any creativity is on long plane trips to the US. That's the beauty of the MBR and my other kit, the Roland PMA-5, they can go anywhere with me. So I have programmed some heavy drums for the upcoming Halloween-fest, just hope I get time to do some instruments!

For me, recording instruments is no problem, provided I have some time. I just go to a spare room in the house with a guitar and effects box and away I go. That's why the MBR is so good, you can take it anywhere. Vox are a pain so I sit in my car in the garage and record them there (so that no one can hear). Again, the portability of the MBR serves me well.

I just need a new button on the MBR - "Create some time for music" +/++ (no "-" button required)....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

as i predominantly sing and write lyrics, i have the good fortune of being able to put songs i'm working on, into my mp3 player or burn to cd so i can listen to the tune and get inside it, this is usually what i do when i recieve a song by email just before i leave for work, burn it to cd so i can listen in the car and put it on my mp3player and listen when i can, when i get back home i have a good idea of what i am going to do if after that i dont have an idea, its unlikely anything will come so i move onto the next one.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

fenderbender

mens/ladies imagination knows no bounds  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

when I was a kid I started off with a tennis racket and four strings -yes you guessed it ---my sun studio -the bathroom --
the kitchen it is now -between 6.30pm-9pm -
hook the 600 up and pick up the guitar -and then see what happens --
most nights nothing
yeh vocals are a problem as is the washing machine and the click from the fridge --
osckilo wrote:
QuoteRecording on the BR is like painting with Oils on a canvas.

You can Paint over mistakes with the next track.....

So Don't Delete that First recording for the sake of one F*ck up.....

Im learning not to now :( :(

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Geir

I'm struggling now to find time ... and inspiration !

Any new additions to this enlightening thread?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hilary

One of my most popular songs, Sunday Afternoon, I wrote the verses (in my head) on a Sunday afternoon at Morrisons Café (it's a cheapie supermarket in the UK) and typed them up when I got home. I then wrote the choruses (it's got individual choruses) on the Monday, whilst taking my father-in-law shopping at the Co-op (another supermarket). Then came home and set the thing to music.

I'm always typing/scribbling stuff at inopportune moments, unfortunately I've got a brain like a sieve and so will forget otherwise.

I've recorded, in the car
bathroom
kitchen
lounge
bedroom
wardrobe (it's my vocalbooth :D)
my daughter's bedroom (when she's out)
in a caravan (inbetween shots from an army shooting range)
a beer festival (twas a gig)

I need to get more adventurous . . . maybe Aldi or Asda (more supermarkets) :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

METs are fab for creativity, however the opportunity come along infrequently. Funny, when I'm in Morrisons cafe, all I can think of is the little bag of crisps that comes with the sandwiches :-) that said, collaboration really help, and sometimes a little pause or break can help. New gear inspires but that's costly and sometimes simply grinding it out works. No way answers. And as for time....

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Quote from: bruno on August 15, 2013, 05:27:53 AMMETs are fab for creativity, however the opportunity come along infrequently. Funny, when I'm in Morrisons cafe, all I can think of is the little bag of crisps that comes with the sandwiches :-) that said, collaboration really help, and sometimes a little pause or break can help. New gear inspires but that's costly and sometimes simply grinding it out works. No way answers. And as for time....

Oh you've never been to Morrisons cafe Bruno!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Quote from: bruno on August 15, 2013, 05:44:39 AMI have. I like morrisons particularly the pies :-)

I apologise, I hear their lobster paella is particularly good   :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça