Let everybody know about BossBR.net

Started by Pedro, September 30, 2009, 09:39:05 AM

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 01, 2009, 10:19:22 AM
Quote from: Ted on September 30, 2009, 11:41:34 PMCool!  I added 64G's little banner to my blog template.

Actually, that's Pedro's work, not mine.

My mistake.

Hey Pedro, if you look at your server logs, you'll be able to see how many of those banners are on other Web sites.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

OsCKilO

It only becomes an offence to host Cover versions on the site if there is some sort of commercial gain being made by someone.....

It would not be permissible to feature the original material, but covers (played and sung by members) are fine, as long as the "owner" is credit as the artist with the intellectual rights.

The site is running all above board as far as I can see.....

Apart from all of the pictures of Boobies that you filthy people keep posting..................  :-X

What will the new guys think..... ::) ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

hooper

Quote from: admin on October 01, 2009, 07:49:00 AMI would like to read about those laws, I'm not certain if it is illegal to record a cover song claiming that it is NOT your own.....

If I ever find myself on a TV game show and have to answer the question:
'Is it illegal to distribute covers of copyrighted songs on the Internet without permission from the music publisher?'

Answer the question, for 1 million dollars: Yes or No?

I'm gonna say: 'Yes
Heh... Can't help it, I want the money!   :D

Bottom line: If you use someone else's song, you have to ask their permission.  The music publisher owns the song.  The record company and/or the author do not own the song, unless he/she also happens to be the music publisher.

ASCAP Licensing: Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why should I pay for playing music in public?

We often use the expression "they're playing my song," not always remembering that while we may have emotionally adopted the song, it still legally belongs to the songwriter who created it, and the music publisher who markets it. When you use other people's property, you need to ask permission.

2. What is a public performance?

A public performance is one that occurs either in a public place or any place where people gather (other than a small circle of a family or its social acquaintances.) A public performance is also one that is transmitted to the public; for example, radio or television broadcasts, music-on-hold, cable television, and by the internet. Generally, those who publicly perform music obtain permission from the owner of the music or his representative. However, there are a few limited exceptions, (called "exemptions") to this rule. Permission is not required for music played or sung as part of a worship service unless that service is transmitted beyond where it takes place (for example, a radio or television broadcast). Performances as part of face to face teaching activity at a non-profit educational institutions are also exempt.

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licensingfaq.html

Note that there is no mention of any 'exemption' being made on account of the cover song being distributed for free.

This is why sites like SoundClick, MySpace, etc. contain language in their 'Terms of Use' that disallows posting copyrighted material without the owner's permission.  Even though the actual risk of enforcement is quite low, those sites do recognize at least some exposure and are covering their butts.  My point is simply that there may be some wisdom in learning from those who have gone before us....

BTW- I'm personally against the downloading of any music being illegal.  I don't accept the corporate whine that this practice will put them put of business. However, downloading free music does help to cultivate a population of music users who will eventually also go on to pay for music.  You see the same thing happening already where people can go to the library, check out a book and read it for free. This helps to cultivate a population of book readers who will then also go on to buy books. Libraries have not put Barnes and Nobel, Borders or Amazon out of business!

Okay, that's it.
I'm going back to work on my next cover song.  ;)

Hooper

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

64Guitars

Added a BossBR.net page to my site today (link is in my signature). It's accessible from the main menu at the top of each page.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pedro

Thanks 64Guitars! Nice link by the way.

Pedro

There have been an increase in people coming from search engines. It is working!

Ted

Quote from: admin on October 17, 2009, 08:02:12 AMThere have been an increase in people coming from search engines. It is working!

Great!

Do you think you might be able to do that TITLE tag suggestion?  That would help too, in more ways than one.

I'm hesitant to use the Facebook link because the TITLE tags aren't relevant to the topics.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

T.C. Elliott

As was stated above, it doesn't matter if you make off of it or not, once you record and make available a song which you don't own the rights you owe the copyright holder a licensing fee. Generally sites like this get by because there is not enough incentive to remove it (ie no monetary gain for the rights holders.) If/when someone asks the site to remove copyrighted material it has to be done immediately. Otherwise keep going until you stop flying under the radar.

I started a blog and will put the banner on it. I'm a technological half-wit. Some things I can figure out, some things are like pulling teeth. Will do my best.

**Okay, so I did a mini blog about recording and this site. Will go up at 6 am Monday.

http://tcelliott.blogspot.com/
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

Quote from: admin on September 30, 2009, 09:47:45 AMI also made three banners, which I will add on the following posts.

This one is a regular half-banner.

Pedro: Are you going to replace these three banners with ones for Songcrafters.org?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

The number of new posts has actually been declining since July.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website