If the Beatles had continued...what modern band would sound like them?

Started by Davo, September 30, 2009, 03:09:08 AM

Saijinn Maas

I think I have to concur with Gritter on Elliot Smith. Also, Lenny Kravitz is very influenced by the Beatles, especially early in his career. Although his progression of musical changes over the years is very Beatle-like. *shrug* Just a thought ;)

Greeny

I've never heard that Elliot Smith song - damn, Gritter, you're right. That's Beatles all the way. Almost too close for comfort! A Paul rather than a John composition though. What's more, there's no surprise that I really f*cking like it!

ODH

Quote from: Greeny on October 02, 2009, 12:19:03 PMI'm glad they broke up when they did though. It would have been horrible to watch the music fall apart.
They had to break up when they did otherwise they would have torn themselves to pieces, looking at what they each did after the split.  Personally I'm glad they did, leaving their legacy intact.

No-one's mentioned the obvious choice though - Oasis (I jest)...
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

henwrench

I have a personal theory that 'The White Album' is infact a musical blueprint of pretty much all that was to follow. Try it....

example...    Happy Birthday - Areosmith
                  Helter Skelter - Led Zep
                  Cry Baby Cry - Oasis

etc etc etc

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Quote from: henwrench on January 12, 2011, 05:21:42 AMI have a personal theory that 'The White Album' is infact a musical blueprint of pretty much all that was to follow. Try it....

example...    Happy Birthday - Areosmith
                  Helter Skelter - Led Zep
                  Cry Baby Cry - Oasis

etc etc etc

henwrench

I see what you mean... 'Obla Di Obla Da' = 'Brown Girl in the Ring' by Boney M, lol

('Brown Girl in the Ring' now has different connotations than it did when I was 7 years old, lol)

Gritter

Quote from: henwrench on January 12, 2011, 05:21:42 AMI have a personal theory that 'The White Album' is infact a musical blueprint of pretty much all that was to follow. Try it....

example...    Happy Birthday - Areosmith
                  Helter Skelter - Led Zep
                  Cry Baby Cry - Oasis

etc etc etc

henwrench

Areosmith eh? I'll have to check them out.  ;)

chip withrow

I pondered this question on a walk through our neighborhood earlier this week. Can't come up with an answer, but then again I don't know much about modern bands.
But I think it would have to be a band with three valuable, strong songwriters: one edgy like Lennon, one poppy like McCartney, and one folky like Harrison. Yet that's oversimplified; each would have to be capable of venturing into the other's territory.
And I guess that's why it would be so hard to find a comparison - the late '80s Grateful Dead, after Jerry Garcia cleaned up for a couple years, was sort of like that. But that's not modern, and they didn't churn out hit after hit.