If the Beatles had continued...what modern band would sound like them?

Started by Davo, September 30, 2009, 03:09:08 AM

cuthbert

Quote from: Geir on October 01, 2009, 11:35:54 AMDisco Beatles ???
Punk Beatles ???

and don't even mention the 80s Beatles  :o  ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

80s Beatles!  :D  The mind reels...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

guitarron

Quote from: cuthbert on October 01, 2009, 12:25:58 PM
Quote from: Geir on October 01, 2009, 11:35:54 AMDisco Beatles ???
Punk Beatles ???

and don't even mention the 80s Beatles  :o  ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

80s Beatles!  :D  The mind reels...
yah that's a scary thought-McCartney on the Keytar and Lennon wearing spandex-ringo could have pulled it off tho-lol

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Davo

Remember the Shitty Beatles from Waynes World?

I wonder how a 70's Beatles would have gone.  Prog?  Classic Rock? (naaa), Punk?-too raw for the Beatles id think.  Or perhaps they could have become a British Carpenters.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

SdC

Quote from: Davo on October 01, 2009, 07:51:47 PMI wonder how a 70's Beatles would have gone.  Prog?  Classic Rock? (naaa), Punk?-too raw for the Beatles id think.  Or perhaps they could have become a British Carpenters.
Going by the respective members' solo albums post-beatles, I don't think they would have changed styles or reivented themselves altogether, just refined the beatleness. It would have increased the lifespan of the music style once called "beat" considerably.

recorder
Boss BR-600

I appreciate they are no longer togther but it would have to be Crowded House (go listen!)

All the previous conjecture that they would have ended up sounding like ELO (I think Paul was attributed with this) just doesn't hang. ELO had the string players in the band who could influence the writing of the musicat inception. The Beatles had guitars and ocassionally Pauls piano so relied on George Martin to flesh out orchestral  ideas and hire in musicians to play them.  Also I believe most of this stuff emanated from Paul and I doubt if John and George - who was coming of age as a song writer, would have allowed this to get out of hand!

R

Greeny

Quote from: palxrh1 on October 02, 2009, 06:01:08 AMI appreciate they are no longer togther but it would have to be Crowded House (go listen!)

All the previous conjecture that they would have ended up sounding like ELO (I think Paul was attributed with this) just doesn't hang. ELO had the string players in the band who could influence the writing of the musicat inception. The Beatles had guitars and ocassionally Pauls piano so relied on George Martin to flesh out orchestral  ideas and hire in musicians to play them.  Also I believe most of this stuff emanated from Paul and I doubt if John and George - who was coming of age as a song writer, would have allowed this to get out of hand!

R

I agree with the ELO reference in terms of production and orchestration. Jeff Lynne never had the songwriting ability of  John and Paul (although some were very good songs...), but his whole mission was - in his own words - to pick up where the Beatles left off. Although when you listen to Mr Blue Sky and the centre section of 'Day in the Life' together, the words 'rip off' spring to mind, lol.

I think Live and Let Die is a good example of where the Beatles would have gone, as it has Macca songwriting with George Martin doing the orchestration.

I'm glad they broke up when they did though. It would have been horrible to watch the music fall apart. Now we can just look back at perfection.

I don't see anyone ever coming near that level of songwriting again. Would love to be proved wrong though!

Davo

Quote from: palxrh1 on October 02, 2009, 06:01:08 AMI appreciate they are no longer togther but it would have to be Crowded House (go listen!)

R
Good post, and welcome to the board!

Davo

Greeny they left on a high note-just another bit of genius in a long string of amazing records.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gritter

Crowded House, though very good, were just way too safe...I've tried, but I can't find a better example of a fresh sounding Beatles style than Elliott Smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afeAUndotas

...And ELO, E-L-O! they're not a modern band!