Opinions wanted on PUP switching options?

Started by StevieM, September 29, 2009, 01:47:43 PM

StevieM

I'm going to have to play catch-up soon on posts and stuff, apologies now if I miss anyone!!

Right, I could do with a few opinions here, if that's ok? Please? Pretty please?? ;D
I'm just part way through building the next guitar, and I'm not sure which way to go on the switching.
It's going to have  Humbuckers at neck and bridge, tapped through 2 push/pull tone pots, and a single mid, again with it's own tone. What I haven't decided on is whether to go for a 5 way selector ( like a Strat) or 3 individual switches to turn each pup on or off, like the one here.
What're your thoughts on either??
Cheers.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Geir

No doubt I would choose a 5-way !!! Like on Ibanez guitars. What I might add (if possible in an easy way) is an override-switch that would enable the use of the two humbuckers in parallel, it's the only thing I miss with the 5-way setup. 
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Davo

Have you seen the new triple shot rings from Seymour duncan?  You wouldnt need push pulls and each each ring gives you 4 wiring options.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/triple-shot/triple_shot_swi/
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

StevieM

Hey Davo, they look goooood!!!!! Trying to find a price somewhere, probably not cheap!!

Maybe on the one after this, got to sell the next one before I build any more :(
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: Davo on September 29, 2009, 04:17:14 PMHave you seen the new triple shot rings from Seymour duncan?  You wouldnt need push pulls and each each ring gives you 4 wiring options.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/triple-shot/triple_shot_swi/

I usually don't like to split my coils or use various wiring setups on the same guitar. I like to have different guitars specifically set up for various things...

But these things are pretty damn cool! Thanks for the link Davo!

Davo

Quote from: StevieM on October 01, 2009, 01:53:47 PMHey Davo, they look goooood!!!!! Trying to find a price somewhere, probably not cheap!!

Maybe on the one after this, got to sell the next one before I build any more :(
I believe they are 30 bucks each-so yeah not cheap but they give you lots of options without having to drill.

I will be getting a them along with a pair of SD P-rails for my Toronado soon, I hope.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The Reverend 48

If you havn't cut out the routes I would go for what I think is the "ultimate tone monster"......
3 Hot Rail Humbuckers on a 5 way switch with individual coil taps
the options make my head spin! ;D ;)

StevieM

Hmmmm--- looks like I'll be changing the single for another HB then :D

Still not totally sure on 5 way switch or 3 x 2 way's though. Oh well, it'll have to be decision time soon.