Hardware costs

Started by tony, September 26, 2009, 01:23:49 AM

tony

I know people here, in general, don't like DAWs or recording at the computer.  I'm the same.  The size and convenience of the MBR is one of its great attractions.  But I had a little wake up the other day.  I have been thinking about trying to use samples on a thing I have been trying to do.  The MBR is no good for sampling.  Roland have just brought out their new version of the SP 404 sampler, the SP 404 SX.  I had a look at the specs online and watch a YouTube video or two for what it might do then rang a shop.  999 of these Australian dollars (and for a moment I was actually thinking - if I save up for ??? weeks/months).  Then I went back to the Mac and opened garageband and within 10 mins had taught myself how to use it as a sampler.  New Mac = under $2,000; new SP404SX = $1,000.  And it is just a sampler.  The mac is a midi enabled multi track recorder, editor, whatever else and a sampler.  And in your downtime you can even use it as a computer. 

It got me thinking about the cost of effects, recording etc. hardware and if the market doesn't need a shakeup.  The MBR isn't cheap but it is a fantastic device for an enormous range of applications.  But some of these things, really.

I don't know where I'm going with this but I certainly am tired of being a slave to my GAS and the hardware producers knowing that I am.

Migs

It is like any hobby ... cars, photography, music, hi-fi, stamp collecting.

The more you spend the more you spend.

Having said that, I never expected the MBR to be a sampler.  I bought it as a very portable 4 track with basic drums and it is everything I could have hoped for.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Blooby

Quote from: tony on September 26, 2009, 01:23:49 AMI don't know where I'm going with this but I certainly am tired of being a slave to my GAS.

I believe you answered your own question.

Blooby

launched

Hey little boy, do you want some candy? It comes in 4 tracks, 8 tracks and 16 tracks.

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!

I feel that way sometimes when I look in the catalogs...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Migs

Oh, and I bought a new telly on the weekend.  Spent ten months without one so I would practice my guitar instead of sitting in front of the box.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

SdC

Versatile as a DAW is, it's just a link in the chain just like a BR. So even though you'll *think* you've satisfied your GAS for now, eventually you'll come across a USB gadget or software tool/plugin that you *must* have.

recorder
Boss BR-600