Guitar Synthesizers - Who has one, who wants one?

Started by Bluesberry, September 24, 2009, 05:04:47 AM

Bluesberry

Just thought I would start a thread on guitar synths.  I am drooling over these on a daily basis, one day I will have one!  Lets hear from those that have them, what do you like, dislike, what kind to get, what about the special pick-up, or is it better to get a guitar already fitted with the hardware (like a Godin).  How about the tracking and playing.  Finally, is it really worth all that money to have this technology (I know I want one bad!!!).  Thoughts anybody...

Here is an excellent vid by a Scottish guitarist which really shows off guitar synths in the best possible way, this video is giving me GAS big time.  Plus it is funny as hell, the end part is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uku5rKpbUoo

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 24, 2009, 05:04:47 AMJust thought I would start a thread on guitar synths.  I am drooling over these on a daily basis, one day I will have one!  Lets hear from those that have them, what do you like, dislike, what kind to get, what about the special pick-up, or is it better to get a guitar already fitted with the hardware (like a Godin).  How about the tracking and playing.  Finally, is it really worth all that money to have this technology (I know I want one bad!!!).  Thoughts anybody...

Here is an excellent vid by a Scottish guitarist which really shows off guitar synths in the best possible way, this video is giving me GAS big time.  Plus it is funny as hell, the end part is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uku5rKpbUoo

I want a synth really bad - One of these days!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SdC

I have the Roland GR-33 with GK-2A pickup mounted on/in my monster of Frankencaster. A bridge pickup such as the Godin should yield better results in tracking. They have an excellent reputation.
First fundamental choice you have to make if you want one of the Roland gadgets is whether you want a Synth (GR models) for playing synth parts or Virtual Guitar (VG model) for playing modeled guitar sounds (i.e. 12 string DADGAD tuning acoustic on your Strat).

recorder
Boss BR-600

Davo

I bought some pedals off this guy a few months back, he claims to be one of the inventors of the guitar synth. 

I have synth sounds from my Boss GT-8, but have not yet written anything with them.
Heres Timo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYPHh6GENQ
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bluesberry

Thats an incredible song there Davo.  Is this all done with guitar and guitar synth?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

BossMicroBRew

I think tafka has some guitar synth stuff. Cool posts I've heard emulating a saxophone and other stuff. (https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=3672.0)

Surly don't have one, but sure will tinker with one whenever I find one hooked up in my presence.

BossMicroBRew
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

64Guitars

I've wanted a guitar synth for many years but I haven't bought one yet. However, I've read a lot about them and, from what I've read, AXON is the one to get. The Roland guitar synths reportedly have good tracking with the built-in sounds. However, I've heard that the tracking of the Roland synths is poor when you use them to control an external synth via midi, especially on the low strings. For that, the AXON pitch-to-midi converters are much better. They can track an external synth (such as your SH-201) as fast as the Rolands track their internal sounds (if not faster). They also have their own internal sounds, so you don't have to use an external synth all the time. And the AXON is a lot more versatile in the way you can control patches. You can split the fretboard, strings, and picking area into 12 different play zones, each controlling a different patch. It also comes with a great software editor.

Another important consideration for me is that the Rolands have floor-based packaging. I don't like floor-based products because I hate having to bend down all the time to make adjustments. And, let's face it, the controls on a synth are something that you'll want to fiddle with a lot. That's half the fun. So I'd much rather have the rack-mount AXON AX-100 Mk II or the tabletop AX-50 USB than a floor-based Roland. Actually, the AX-50 doesn't have any controls. Its parameters are adjusted in software. But the AX-100's parameters can be adjusted by front panels switches or by software, so it's nice to have it at a more accessible height.

AX-100 Mk II
(click to enlarge)

AX-50 USB
(click to enlarge)

AXON also has great support via their web forum. And they update the software often, adding new features requested by owners via the forum. You can download the software here and play around with it without any additional hardware. You won't hear anything, of course, but you can get an idea of the capabilities of the software.

Check out the AX-100 Mk II here:

http://www.axon-technologies.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1&menu=101

And be sure to watch the demo videos:

http://www.axon-technologies.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=69&menu=10102

As for guitars and pickups, I've heard that tracking is better with piezo pickups than with the magnetic pickups found in the add-ons such as the Roland GK-3 or AXON PU 100. Interestingly, the reverse is said to be true for virtual guitar system like the VG-99. In that case, tracking isn't an issue and the magnetic pickups supposedly sound better than piezos with the VG-99. But for tracking a guitar synth, the pickup doesn't have any sound of its own and the piezos are said to be best.

Tracking is also affected by the stability of the guitar's neck. That's why at least one early synth guitar included a stabilizer bar on the neck.

For those reasons, I think it's best to buy a guitar like a Godin, Brian Moore, or Parker Adrian Belew Signature Fly rather than putting an add-on pickup on an existing guitar. These guitars are designed for synth access, with built-in piezo hex pickups and stable necks. They also look better since the pickups and controls are built-in and inconspicuous.

A good place to get more information about guitar synths is the Yahoo! midiguitar forum.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Davo

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 24, 2009, 07:22:48 PMThats an incredible song there Davo.  Is this all done with guitar and guitar synth?
Thats what he said.  He even gave me a full demo, with all of his rack gear and synths.  His amps are 400 watts each.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

lg

Wow,BB, thanks alot for sharing this youtube vid....LOL
Now, I want one also!
Can you just imagine the possibilities available with such
a device!
I am caught somewhere between stunned & drooling!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!