Corn Maze

Started by wiley, September 20, 2009, 12:27:00 PM

Ted

Quote from: Davo on September 22, 2009, 12:30:41 AM
Quote from: Tony W on September 21, 2009, 01:49:25 PMroflmao! We native Iowans are a special breed all right.

Souix City native here!  Very cool, I love the stuff everyone does with corn for fun.

Iowans are always the nicest people too.

They are the nicest people!  Until they start trash-talking people from Nebraska, Minnesota, and South Dakota.  Then they're mean as fuck.  ;)

I actually went on a short vacation to Sioux City this summer--intentionally!  One highlight: La Juanita.  Yum!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Wiley

Yes that's what they say about the surrounding states. The wind doesn't blow it sucks!!! LOL  But I like Nebraska best.  The wide open air. And the cyotes howling.  YOu don't say how many miles or minutes to get some where.  You say it takes a 6 pack or 3, or whatever.  So many miles it usually takes a case. LOL

launched

Quote from: Ted on September 21, 2009, 01:06:01 PM...I detassled corn when I was 16--for two days and got fired!  It still stings.  I tried.  I swear I did.  But I was an Arizona kid exiled to Iowa for the summer...

Reminds me of the chicken coop scene in the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

"I forgot my checkbook, so I'll have to pay you in change!"
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Davo

Quote from: Ted on September 22, 2009, 12:35:41 PM
Quote from: Davo on September 22, 2009, 12:30:41 AM
Quote from: Tony W on September 21, 2009, 01:49:25 PMroflmao! We native Iowans are a special breed all right.

Souix City native here!  Very cool, I love the stuff everyone does with corn for fun.

Iowans are always the nicest people too.

They are the nicest people!  Until they start trash-talking people from Nebraska, Minnesota, and South Dakota.  Then they're mean as fuck.  ;)

I actually went on a short vacation to Sioux City this summer--intentionally!  One highlight: La Juanita.  Yum!

Very cool!  Its odd because I moved to California as a kid, and I dont know many folks who even know my town-let alone the vacation.

I never dug midwest mexican, but Ill try to stop there when I go back.

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tony W

I lived in Yuma AZ for a few years. On occasion, we would cross the border to get legit Mexican food. I have to agree with Davo. Midwest Mexican just isn't Mexican.

Lets be honest though, he wasn't talking about the food, it's the margaritas.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Tony W on September 23, 2009, 11:06:00 AMI lived in Yuma AZ for a few years. On occasion, we would cross the border to get legit Mexican food. I have to agree with Davo. Midwest Mexican just isn't Mexican.

I've lived in AZ most of my life, and can pop ripe jalapenos the way osckilo downs beers in the name of science.  I think I'm qualified to say La Juanita was awesome.  Furthermore, I think every Latino in the Tri-State Area was there for lunch that day.  The Sylvester Stallone film Nighthawks was playing on the TV, so I don't think it was cinema that brought them there.

And they don't serve alcohol.

So there.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Davo

Quote from: Ted on September 23, 2009, 12:04:19 PM
Quote from: Tony W on September 23, 2009, 11:06:00 AMI lived in Yuma AZ for a few years. On occasion, we would cross the border to get legit Mexican food. I have to agree with Davo. Midwest Mexican just isn't Mexican.

I've lived in AZ most of my life, and can pop ripe jalapenos the way osckilo downs beers in the name of science.  I think I'm qualified to say La Juanita was awesome.  Furthermore, I think every Latino in the Tri-State Area was there for lunch that day.  The Sylvester Stallone film Nighthawks was playing on the TV, so I don't think it was cinema that brought them there.

And they don't serve alcohol.

So there.

I havent LIVED in the midwest since the 80's- I just go back to visit.  As a kid-there was pretty much NO mexican food.

But if you are from AZ you know Mexican.

Truthfully-I wish they had a Runza hut out here in CA.  They are more valuable then gold out here.  Once every couple of years,  I can convince my mom to make Runzas when on a sunday.

Ted

Quote from: Davo on September 24, 2009, 01:19:27 AMTruthfully-I wish they had a Runza hut out here in CA.  They are more valuable then gold out here.  Once every couple of years,  I can convince my mom to make Runzas when on a sunday.

I never heard of a runza before.  I Googled it, and determined that it's one of the many wrapped-in-bread foods found in many cultures around the world.

• The Empanada (Spain, Portugal, Chile): I know from Julia's Empanadas in Washington DC.
  • The Pasty (Cornwall UK): I know them from my Michigan connections, and The Cornish Pasty Co in Tempe, AZ.
  • The Burrito (Mexico): Food of the gods, Restaurant Mexico's "Claire Burro," also in Tempe.
  • The Corn Dog: Brings us back to the American Midwest!

But I digress from my original threadjack: Iowa cuisine.

We had a hard time finding a good tavern sandwich in Sioux City. What's up with that? Either the locals were keeping tight lipped about the best places, or it's a dieing tradition.  We ended up finding an acceptable tavern at Coney Island restaurant in a goddamn strip mall.

If you wish to commit suicide with a delicious hot fudge sundae: Green Gables.

I know return this thread to the topic of corn mazes.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Davo

Quote from: Ted on September 24, 2009, 10:26:41 AM
Quote from: Davo on September 24, 2009, 01:19:27 AMTruthfully-I wish they had a Runza hut out here in CA.  They are more valuable then gold out here.  Once every couple of years,  I can convince my mom to make Runzas when on a sunday.

I never heard of a runza before.  I Googled it, and determined that it's one of the many wrapped-in-bread foods found in many cultures around the world.

• The Empanada (Spain, Portugal, Chile): I know from Julia's Empanadas in Washington DC.
  • The Pasty (Cornwall UK): I know them from my Michigan connections, and The Cornish Pasty Co in Tempe, AZ.
  • The Burrito (Mexico): Food of the gods, Restaurant Mexico's "Claire Burro," also in Tempe.
  • The Corn Dog: Brings us back to the American Midwest!

But I digress from my original threadjack: Iowa cuisine.

We had a hard time finding a good tavern sandwich in Sioux City. What's up with that? Either the locals were keeping tight lipped about the best places, or it's a dieing tradition.  We ended up finding an acceptable tavern at Coney Island restaurant in a goddamn strip mall.

If you wish to commit suicide with a delicious hot fudge sundae: Green Gables.

I know return this thread to the topic of corn mazes.

Foods wrapped in bread are where its at.

I love a good Tavern-out here everyone calls them sloppy joes.  At family reunions-my aunts all make tavern meat at home, and bring it in a crock pot.  I then eat them until I can hardly breathe.  Its awesome.

Davo

I will be looking up green gables as well.