Backing singers

Started by tony, September 19, 2009, 07:53:09 PM

tony

I was listening to a radio documentary on Brian Eno the other day.  The point was made that 80% of hit records have backing singers and only 20% of tracks recorded have backing singers.  The lesson is obvious.  Given that we make music for pleasure here, and voice is not the favourite instrument of a lot of us, does this have a bearing on what we do?  We might not want to feature backing singers but does it help us think about arrangements.

Also, off (this) topic, I used to be listening to music and then think I would post the track on "What are you listening to right now" and go and look for the YouTube video that would accompany it.  These days, when I'm working, rather than find something I want to hear and go and find the cd, I just go you YouTube and call up the track and have it playing in the background.  And so when I post something to "What are you ...", it is that video and not the track off a cd.  Does anyone else find this to be the case?

dwardzala

Regarding backing vocals:

When I got into the home recording hobby a year and a half ago, the first thing my buddy mentioned when he critiqued my first few songs (covers) is that they needed backing vocals.  Backing vocals raise the "professional" quality of the track, even if they are just a simple third harmony above the melody.

I think this is even more true for original pieces.  Backing vocals can be used to support the main vocals and add interest to a chorus or bridge.  If you have a hard time singing in harmony (I struggle with harmonizing my own voice), you can "cheat" by playing the harmony part on keys or guitar on a separate track and singing to it and then leave the instrument track out of the mix.

In summary, backing vocals are the vocal equivalent of a guitar fill.   
Dave

BR-600

Greeny

I love backing vocals, but the trick is to know when NOT to use them. On most tracks they do add a whole extra layer of gloss and interest, but sometimes, the simplicity of a single lead vocal is best. Who makes these rules? Nobody but ourselves. It's just trial and error for me. God knows what it sounds like when I'm wailing away and trying to find the harmony! But when it works, man does it work. I have to say that listening to Brian Wilson and Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel arrangements has always helped with backing vocal ideas and fills.

tony

Quote from: dwardzala on September 20, 2009, 09:33:40 AMI think this is even more true for original pieces.  Backing vocals can be used to support the main vocals and add interest to a chorus or bridge.  If you have a hard time singing in harmony (I struggle with harmonizing my own voice), you can "cheat" by playing the harmony part on keys or guitar on a separate track and singing to it and then leave the instrument track out of the mix.

In summary, backing vocals are the vocal equivalent of a guitar fill. 

I don't know if I can agree with this.  About a decade ago when The Isley Brothers started releasing cds again, they were produced by R. Kelly.  He did some really interesting things, as producer, where the backing vocals carried the main part of the melody and the 'lead' voice was free to improvise over the harmony.  At least that what my memory tells me (can't check, I'm at work).  I think they can be much more than a vocal equivalent of a guitar fill.  You might not want the two things happening at the same but it doesn't mean that they are the same thing.

Geir

In my experience the use of backing vocals is by far the easiest way to make a song sound good. I've done some live gigs with some friends that all sing fairly good, and on the songs that we used lots of harmonies and (the safest way to succeed) end a song a capella we ALWAYS get good feedback ! And none of us are great singers.

I think it has to do with the warmth that the human voice has compared to any other instrument. 

but I do agree with Greeny "the trick is to know when NOT to use them." 'cause some songs are best without

..... I have a simple rule there ... if the lyrics include the words "I" and "alone" in the same sentence ... drop the harmonies ;D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI was listening to a radio documentary on Brian Eno the other day.
i am a great admirer of brian eno what station was it on, if bbc you can sometimes get them on their iplayer to  listen after the broadcast.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

tony

It was originally on the BBC but I should imagine some time ago.  Stuart Maconnie was the presenter.  I heard it replayed on the ABC here in Brisbane so it would have been some time ago that it was on the BBC.  I'll see if I can get an audio version and I'll pm you if I can.

tony

Quote from: Geir on September 21, 2009, 03:38:56 AM.. I have a simple rule there ... if the lyrics include the words "I" and "alone" in the same sentence ... drop the harmonies ;D ;D ;D

And if the lyrics are "We are" and "the world" then you might get a few mates in.  I think you've nailed it.

Ted

Quote from: dwardzala on September 20, 2009, 09:33:40 AMIf you have a hard time singing in harmony...you can "cheat" by playing the harmony part on keys or guitar on a separate track and singing to it and then leave the instrument track out of the mix.

I have really hard time finding harmonies sometimes.  Why the hell didn't I ever think of that?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac