"Monsters, Inc." original

Started by Ted, September 17, 2009, 11:48:37 PM

lg

LOL

I think that you have this bouncing v-tracks down pat!
I am still figeting with it....
I anxiously await more....

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Greeny

This is f*cking great, Ted. Original, weird, rocky, and brilliant. Love the way the vocals sit between the big chords on the verses. Your vocals (and lyrics) are also excellent - some great imagery (especially the factory bit).

This sounds like a full, tight band.

Love it to bits. A forum highlight for me!

Ted

Well, in that case, an extra special Welcome Back to you Greeny. You've been playing catch-up. So happy you had time to stop by my little laboratory.

I appreciate you saying that it sounds like a full, tight band.  That's quite a compliment.

I don't know if I have a method to it, but I'm primarily a bass player, and a frustrated drummer who composes on guitar. 

I always start with a mono "scratch track" with just guitar, voice, and (usually) a single drum pattern.  Then (usually) I arrange the drums against the scratch track.  So when I start recording the actual separate instruments, I'm always playing along with that original performance supplemented with a fairly complete drum arrangement.  I don't drop the scratch track until I record the vocals--usually last.

Not that you asked.

BTW: My mad-scientist-and-monster imagery, can't compare to Skullcrusher Mountain by Jonathan Coulton.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Masterbump! This song is 10 years old, and The Nutrients are going to record it!

I decided to use the original as a scratch track, but take out the drums and replace them with clicks (per our producer/engineer's request). Amazingly, I still had the working files backed up somewhere (the SONGXXXX.BRO folder). I got a little confused about how the whole thing was put together on the MBR, and then I remembered that I exhausted the MBR's 50-step limit, and had to do some drum bouncing. So this stands as the most complicated drum arrangement I've ever done on the MBR.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac