Big Bill Moganfield

Started by Sprocket, September 11, 2009, 01:35:44 PM

Sprocket

I dunno if any of yall have heard of Big Bill Morganfield, I listen to blues ALOT and have only heard of him recently, but what I have heard of him has made my ears perk up and listen closely! When I listen to him I hear greatness, I hear lots of influences...but this guy was born into greatness, any guess who his daddy was??? At first I thought it was just a really cool name, kinda tipping his hat to a couple of greats(cause he really sounds like alot of the masters)...anyways, yall need to check him out! He IS THE REAL deal!

This is one of the only studio cuts I could find online...but theres plenty on youtube.(iffy sound quality though)
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Screamin_and_Cryin_/22975600
I WILL try and find more though!

Sprocket

Bluesberry

Quote from: Sprocket on September 12, 2009, 07:12:28 AMI guess nobody likes the blues *shrug*

HaHa thats funny Sprocket, nobody likes the blues, what a funny guy.  You know this place kinda dies on the weekend, post something on a Friday night and expect a response by Saturday morn, funny guy indeed.  Sure I loves them blues are you kidding.  This is dynamite stuff.  Kinda sounds like old time Muddy Waters blues to my ears.  Is he current and who is his daddy?  You are right about him being the real deal.  Thanks for the heads up on this guy!!!!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Sprocket

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 12, 2009, 07:52:50 AM
Quote from: Sprocket on September 12, 2009, 07:12:28 AMI guess nobody likes the blues *shrug*

HaHa thats funny Sprocket, nobody likes the blues, what a funny guy.  You know this place kinda dies on the weekend, post something on a Friday night and expect a response by Saturday morn, funny guy indeed.  Sure I loves them blues are you kidding.  This is dynamite stuff.  Kinda sounds like old time Muddy Waters blues to my ears.  Is he current and who is his daddy?  You are right about him being the real deal.  Thanks for the heads up on this guy!!!!

Come on, I posted that at noon(EST) yesterday...its 22 hours later. But I know what you mean, different countries and time zones.

The songs Ive heard of his on XM/Sirius have kinda sounded like "the Wolf", IM listening to one right now(How Long) and its got kind of a Bobby Bland gravelly vocal...Im telling you, this guy is the swiss army knife of the blues!
And hes current!

Whos his daddy? If you are familiar with blues sheet music, you might recognize the last name "Morganfield"...that is his real last name, as well as his dad's.   

[edit]OMG, he does a version of "Sloppy Drunk" too! With some sick harp!
[edit2]"Left Hand Blues" is an obvious "Crossroads" cover...and pretty damn good too!

Sprocket

Ive gotta work all day today, so Ive been listening to the albums on myspace...Im really digging his album Ramblin Mind and Im currently listening to "Troubles"...this IS great stuff! Im gonna hafta order me some of this!

Bluesberry

I agree!!! I'm going to see if he is on I-Tunes.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Sprocket

OKay, so Ive listened to all 3 albums...it just gets better and better.
And it makes me hope he has more albums out there, as I notice "Blues In The Blood" was released in Sept 2003.

Check out track #9 Anything Just For You...and that harp is just chilling.
(Im pretty sure this is one of the tracks Id heard that caught my attention)

Greeny

Quote from: Sprocket on September 11, 2009, 01:35:44 PMI dunno if any of yall have heard of Big Bill Morganfield, I listen to blues ALOT and have only heard of him recently, but what I have heard of him has made my ears perk up and listen closely! When I listen to him I hear greatness, I hear lots of influences...but this guy was born into greatness, any guess who his daddy was??? At first I thought it was just a really cool name, kinda tipping his hat to a couple of greats(cause he really sounds like alot of the masters)...anyways, yall need to check him out! He IS THE REAL deal!

This is one of the only studio cuts I could find online...but theres plenty on youtube.(iffy sound quality though)
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Screamin_and_Cryin_/22975600
I WILL try and find more though!

I was lucky enough to see him live about 8 years ago - in a very small venue (a pub basically) as part of a Sussex blues festival. I have to admit that I went because of his paternal connection, but was blown away by the music he offered us that night. It was amazing, raw blues... just him and another guitarist. He's fantastic.