"A Million Miles High" by The Stan Laurels

Started by Bosko Schwartz, September 03, 2009, 04:31:34 PM

OsCKilO

Quote from: oldrottenhead on September 03, 2009, 06:10:36 PM
QuoteHaven't listened to this yet because the wife is busy listening to this....
your wife has good taste

She is silly!

Swooned By old crooners Like you when there is Hot of the press stuff like this !!!!!!

It was a blinding song though Jim.......!

Sorry Bosko..........

I will not allow this Thread Hijacking to continue!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

Quote from: osckilo on September 03, 2009, 06:24:16 PMSorry Bosko..........

I will... How 'bout them Patriots? Brady's shoulder is a little rough, but the defense is looking good all things considered.. Just kidding!!!

Nothing wrong with pop, kid. I'll have to admit I need my dose on occasion. Just don't tell anybody...

I love those drums - I sold my kit last year, and am dying to get another one soon. I grow sicker of the BR Rhythm section every time I hear one of your songs.

Fine job as always, and the vocals were superb. Right out front, Pinedog is gonna love it!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

It sounds like a Brian Wilson masterpiece to me, just freaking incredible, or maybe another from his brother Dennis Wilson's incredible album "Pacific Ocean Blue". The bass and drums sound really good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ocean_Blue

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Quote from: oldrottenhead on September 03, 2009, 06:10:36 PM
QuoteHaven't listened to this yet because the wife is busy listening to this....
your wife has good taste
lmao -thats a good one to jim

love the 60's-ish feel to this
very pleasant vox and harmonies-much more out in front
you're a tight drummer- man

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Davo

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

danieldesete

I pressed the download button even before the end of the song, thanks for sharing this !
hou hou ha ha

Oldrottenhead

i cant get this song out of my head.  wonderful
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

It's a bit mushy and sappy, but it's lovely for it. Simple and effective, nice airy recording and still uniquely Bosko. Altho it's simple in its arrangement, the song structure isn't, which keeps it interesting. The vox are lovely, and nice and upfront - that works for a poppy song. Hope she likes it!

I'd be tempted to boost the bottom end a little, especially on the bass, but nothing that detracts seriously from the song.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Great song! Loved the instrumentation and harmonies. Lyrics are very clear on this one.

And damn, you are one hell of a powerful drummer, Bosko!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bosko Schwartz

Wow -- thanks, everyone!  I didn't expect such a solid response after only a couple of days!! ;D ;D

Quote from: oldrottenhead on September 03, 2009, 04:40:18 PMsometimes simple is better.

this is fucking awesome
pardon moi francais

you should get andy partridge to produce your next album this is right up his street
its right up my street too.

Thanks a lot, Jim! ;D  Any comparison to Andy Partridge is high praise!

Quote from: Blooby on September 03, 2009, 04:59:18 PMI would worry that added keys would smooth out the endearing jauntiness of the tune.

Oh, what a killer drum fill I just heard!  Must rewind.

Anyway, as I was saying, it's great the way it is.  Wonderful background vocals.

Would like to hear the bass a bit thicker.  I'm not getting a lot of bottom end on this one (There's a one-liner in there somewhere).

Another Bosktastic tune.

Your wife will be pleased.  People tell me it's all about points.

Blooby

Thanks, Bloob! ;D  I am still toying around with the possibility of keys.  We'll see.  As for the bass, you're right, and that is because I rolled off the low EQ like I often do to keep it from being overbearingly boomy, but it didn't work this time because for the most part I was playing higher notes.  For example, the beginning "solo" part is done on the highest frets and strings of the bass.  Anyway, I fixed the bottom end and gave my wife a better mix (not that she even noticed the bass ;D).  Thanks again for the kind words!

Quote from: Geir on September 03, 2009, 05:17:42 PMAnd mine to !!!

You are brilliant my friend !!!

This is an awesome song indeed John !!!  Freaking catchy and bloody marvelous if you ask me !!!

I love the (relative) simple arrangement, and brilliant harmonies. And your vox is better than ever !!!

Thanks, Geir! ;D  I appreciate the comments on the vox -- I worked hard to get them decent since it is a love song and very poppy.

Quote from: hooper on September 03, 2009, 05:19:17 PMGaaaaaa... This is so good!  Yes, it's simple as compared to other Stan Laurel songs but nothing simple about the inventiveness going on here with the bouncy rhythems, and the tasty melody lines and harmonies.  And instantly recognizable as Bosko and the Stan Laurels.  You have really crafted a personally unique style in your music and continue to hold up a high standard.
Dern ya..... :D

Wow, thanks, Ken! ;D  I have to say that YOU in particular were an influence on this song.  Mostly in the fact that I wanted to get the production clean, crisp, and clear.  I am not nearly as good on guitar as you, so the simple strumming helped me not have to worry about mistakes, and made it easy to mix.  I think the fact that I have a lot less instruments than usual helped too.  I also used less effects on the vox and put them more out front for more of an attempt at a Hooper-ish sound.  Your music has definitely been a major inspiration for me to strive toward the perfection I will probably never achieve but you seem to nail with every recording. :o  I also owe facemask, as his simple, poppy little love song that he posted a while back really inspired me!

Quote from: osckilo on September 03, 2009, 05:28:05 PMFinally!!!!!!! I got my head phones back!!!!

Type and listen......

Simple and Awesome!

I have never Heard your Vox as Good as this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won’t comment on the Playing because it is fucking awesome as usual..........

Is this on you Album?
Killer start to a new one if it isn’t!

Thanks, Tharek! ;D  More vox compliments!  Wow, I really like to hear that, because my vox was something I had almost no confidence in just a few years ago.  I am just starting to get used to how they sound, I guess.  Compliments like this really help!

Quote from: Geir on September 03, 2009, 06:04:18 PMis it too early to

BUMP

???

Never too early to BUMP, Geir!! ;D

Quote from: launched on September 03, 2009, 07:24:42 PM
Quote from: osckilo on September 03, 2009, 06:24:16 PMSorry Bosko..........

I will... How 'bout them Patriots? Brady's shoulder is a little rough, but the defense is looking good all things considered.. Just kidding!!!

Nothing wrong with pop, kid. I'll have to admit I need my dose on occasion. Just don't tell anybody...

I love those drums - I sold my kit last year, and am dying to get another one soon. I grow sicker of the BR Rhythm section every time I hear one of your songs.

Fine job as always, and the vocals were superb. Right out front, Pinedog is gonna love it!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Mark

Ha!  Did you just call me "kid?"  How old are you, Mark?  I laugh, because I often feel so old, as my debut album is about to be released and I am 34.  Ouch! :o  Anyway, thanks for the awesome words!

PS: You play fantasy football?  I need some folks to join my league so I can take their money. ;D

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 03, 2009, 07:40:14 PMIt sounds like a Brian Wilson masterpiece to me, just freaking incredible, or maybe another from his brother Dennis Wilson's incredible album "Pacific Ocean Blue". The bass and drums sound really good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ocean_Blue

Thanks, Bluesberry! ;D  What a compliment!  I really need to check out Pacific Ocean Blue!

Quote from: guitarron on September 03, 2009, 08:22:14 PMlove the 60's-ish feel to this
very pleasant vox and harmonies-much more out in front
you're a tight drummer- man

Thanks, Ron! ;D  If I managed to get this to sound even remotely 60s, that is awesome.  I can never seem to do that, even though my primary influences are from the 60s!  Thanks for the drum compliments too!

Quote from: Davo on September 04, 2009, 02:07:57 PMVery cool, pop-y

Thanks, Davo! ;D

Quote from: danieldesete on September 04, 2009, 03:11:11 PMI pressed the download button even before the end of the song, thanks for sharing this !

Thanks, danieldesete! ;D  Haven't seen you 'round these parts before ...

Quote from: oldrottenhead on September 04, 2009, 03:19:59 PMi cant get this song out of my head.

I hope that is a good thing.  Sometimes it is, but sometimes it's a curse! ;D

Quote from: Ferryman on September 04, 2009, 03:31:49 PMIt's a bit mushy and sappy, but it's lovely for it. Simple and effective, nice airy recording and still uniquely Bosko. Altho it's simple in its arrangement, the song structure isn't, which keeps it interesting. The vox are lovely, and nice and upfront - that works for a poppy song. Hope she likes it!

I'd be tempted to boost the bottom end a little, especially on the bass, but nothing that detracts seriously from the song.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks, Nigel! ;D  My wife loved it; it made her cry!  Wait -- maybe she cried because it sucked so bad; I'm not sure. ;D  I agree about the bass; see my response to Blooby for more.

Quote from: cuthbert on September 04, 2009, 05:19:25 PMGreat song! Loved the instrumentation and harmonies. Lyrics are very clear on this one.

And damn, you are one hell of a powerful drummer, Bosko!

Thanks, cuthbert! ;D  I guess drums are what I am best at (I wouldn't have the balls to even call myself a guitarist or keyboardist), although I play drums the least.  For instance, I hadn't played drums at all for probably a year -- literally -- before sitting down to record this.  Definitely took me a few play-throughs before I got it down, even though it's a pretty simple performance. :)

PS: Where do you post your tunes?  You have really good taste (you referenced Elephant 6 a while back), so I'd love to hear your stuff.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels