Them Crooked Vultures!! (World Tour Has Begun)

Started by launched, August 27, 2009, 06:07:13 PM

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: guitarron on August 28, 2009, 12:17:36 PMthat vid was quite a teaser

Below the thirty second clips there are some live performances - 10 I think. They are all 3-4 minutes long. JPJ looks pretty fit for his age.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

I'm goin' on Sunday!! Just got word last night - Our tickets have arrived. Only $24. The House of Blues in Boston is a larger venue than I would have liked, but still much better than a large auditorium. State Theater in Portland, ME is one of my faves around this neck of the woods. Saw Rollins band and The Melvins there - Very nice place.

General admission, so I'm hoping to get close to the stage and take a few photos. Not sure what the drinking status is there, so I will be bringing a flask of Wild Turkey.

And yes, Blooby, if the opportunity arises I just may claw my way over the person in front of me so I can see what John Paul Jones and Josh Homme's fingers are doing!

I'm stoked - hope it's a good show.

Mark
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

SE

Hope you enjoy the show Mark, sounds really fantastic, mind now no drinking Wild Turkey while enjoying quality rock music it,s never been done, and a little review would not go a miss.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Bluesberry

We want a honest review Mark, I am pretty interested in this group.  Give it to us warts and all.  Have a great time.  Boston hu? Can be pretty rough nowadays I hear, take care of yourselves.  Its going to be pretty exciting I bet.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Absolutely, guys. You will get the full skinny on the concert and hopefully some photos/video.

They've been playing in public since August, so I think the set will be tight.

Dave, House of Blues is in the Fenway/Kenmore area of Boston. Northeastern U, BU and Berklee College of Music :) are in the area. It's actually across the street from Fenway Park. Low crime rate. I'll probably bum around a little and see some sights beforehand!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Saijinn Maas

Wow! Love their vibe. Will be keeping an ear out for these guys.

launched

Well, just as expected, last night's show was spectacular and mindblowing. Four of the best musicians I've ever seen on the same stage together. And the size of the venue was perfect - About like your hometown rep theater.

And, surprisingly enough, John Paul Jones was just as lively and energetic as the rest of them! He was having the time of his life, dancing around the stage, interacting with the other musicians and singing, too!! Nothing at all like the Led Zep days.

JPJ stayed right with Alain Johannes as far as gear and playing went. My favorite was the 12 string bass, which was played with blinding speed. The "strap" steel was another cool instrument, complete with a K-Pad and other gadgetry. And of course a Korg synth with a Kaossilator pad used for modulation(I think). He also played a nice jangly bit with what looked like an oversized mandolin.

And Josh, the man!! Killer playing, killer singing, killer tone, killer.... Everything!! Baby Duck had his game on and did not disappoint. The guy's a genius... Oh, and Dave(Bluesberry) - You will be happy to know that a couple of times he made full use of a Harmony G (Or it's equivalent!!).

Alain Johannes also proved to be top notch as well. It was tough having him on the other side of the stage as JPJ, because the action was really fired up between the both of them. One of them would be playing bass, guitar or keyboards at any given time with such technical expertise that I got whiplash from switching my attention between them. Sweeeeet!!! AJ was the best dressed of the four of them, showing up in a 3 piece suit & tie - Quite fitting for the House of Blues. For those who haven't seen him recently, he's now a clean shaven chrome dome - Looks quite sharp now.

And last but not least, David Grohl brought the house down with some serious ass kicking drummin'. Lots of hard hitting and emotional playing. Truly a badass behind the kit - He did a fantastic job - Reminded me a lot of what he did on the Probot collaboration. I can't say enough about this guy - He just ages like a fine wine.

One thing I enjoyed seeing was the admiration and respect JPJ got from the "kids" he was playing with. Bassist/Drummer staredowns with Dave Grohl with all the classic rhythm section interaction going on. I would see Josh Homme just watch JPJ play his instruments for what seemed like forever. At first I though it was a little strange, but then quickly realized that Josh was probably thinking this: "I can't believe I'm playing only five feet away from a legend".

There are only three more dates remaining in the US before TCV hits the UK. If anyone is skeptical about JPJ just doing this for anything more than playing great music, don't be. This is the real deal, and puts many other Supergroup efforts to shame. It's a low key promotion with low cost tickets and small venues. The perfect combination.

My biggest regret is that I did not bring a very good camera. Damn.

Mark

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover