Microphone hissing

Started by Tangled Wires, August 24, 2009, 05:23:01 AM

Tangled Wires

Just recorded a new song the other day, and have noticed a lot of hissing with the vocals. This has never happened before, and what I always tend to do is erase the silences between the vocals as there are always other noises that are picked up when nothing is being sung. The problem is on this song is that as soon as the vocal comes in you immediately get the hissing noise. I am using a cheapish Philips microphone (not a condenser type), and always normally record on maximum input levels with no adjustement made to the sensitivity.

Does anyone else have advice on this, or exprienced this before?

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Get a quieter mic.  The little Sony electrets are pretty cheap and pretty good. Mics can cost you an arm and a leg.

You say it's not a condenser, if it were, I would suggest putting it under an incandescent anglepoise lamp for a couple of hours, they tend to 'Fry' if they get moisture inside them.

Dynamic mics don't suffer from this.

I know this doesn't really help, but the end product is only ever as good as the source.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

SdC

If the philips mic is electret type, the battery may need replacing...

recorder
Boss BR-600

Davo

Is it a dynamic mic?  If so you may need a pre.  If not, try some new presets.  Distance and limiter are 2 of my favs.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tangled Wires

Don't think it is a dynamic mic. I will try some new presets to see if that works. I did actually manage to remove the hissing by importing the vocals into Audicity and highlighting a selction of hissing, and then removing this sound throughout the vocals, which did work. Not sure why it happened on this particular song.

Thanks for all your advice

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

I have found that if you roll of the High end on the mic effects the Hiss goes away with it......  (Go into edit effect before you record...)

Noise reduction in audacity sort of works but it effects the rest of the recording as well....

I don't know why it happens.....

I record my classical like that... (Hoops school of recording,,,,)

The hiss becomes a lot less noticable......
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Tangled Wires

Quote from: osckilo on October 17, 2009, 04:14:16 PMI have found that if you roll of the High end on the mic effects the Hiss goes away with it......  (Go into edit effect before you record...)

Noise reduction in audacity sort of works but it effects the rest of the recording as well....

I don't know why it happens.....

I record my classical like that... (Hoops school of recording,,,,)

The hiss becomes a lot less noticable......

Cheers Tharek, will try that next time

recorder
Boss Micro BR