Is it possible to get a guitar in tune?

Started by Geir, August 21, 2009, 11:30:00 AM

OsCKilO

Quote from: Flash Harry on August 27, 2009, 05:29:54 PM
QuoteThat Robocop Guitar is cool though...... Perfect when you are too pissed to Tune!!!!!!   I think I need one.....

You need a weekend in the yorkshire dales my friend.....

Find me a good (Cheap) B&B and I'm all yours........

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Flash Harry

Nah mate, you're one of the family here. Just open the door and walk in, put the kettle on and help yourself to a coffee....

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

launched

Quote from: Flash Harry on August 27, 2009, 05:14:03 PM
Quote from: launched on August 27, 2009, 05:11:51 PMI have a solution to all these problems - Just don't tune your guitar. Hell, don't even play it ;)

You're officially a Mad Man.

Nobody accused me of being normal ;D ("Killer" movie, by the way)

Quote from: SteveG on August 27, 2009, 05:14:46 PM
Quote from: launched on August 27, 2009, 05:11:51 PMI have a solution to all these problems - Just don't tune your guitar. Hell, don't even play it ;)

No, dont tune it and play it loud ... punk aint dead!!

Ha! You are right. To be fair, I only tune up before I record something. Scares the shit out of me.

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

henwrench

Now for the 'truth' as explained to me by Gordon Giltrap, Martin Taylor, Brian May and Steve Howe who were all in the room with me at the same time....this takes a bit of explaining so here goes...

Ever heard of 'The Lost Chord'?

At a time in the distant past, like the ancient Greeks or something, stringed instruments were capable of producing what we would call today, an 'H' note and all the relevant chords associated with it. 'H' would have fallen inbetween G and A. Somewhere in time, stringed instrument makers decided to lose the 'H', for all manner of complicated reasons, mainly mathmatical I seem to remember...
    You've probably noticed it's the open G on a standard tuned guitar where shit goes weird. Like, in tune open, fret it and it's out, pulled sharp. Apparently it's all to do with the pesky 'missing' H note.

Well, thats something like it anyway. Whether it's entirely true or not....? Who Knows....
   But the people who were having this conversation and who had all heard of and researched the theory, led old henwrench to beleive it. It fits in my head.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Doesn't the H note reside in the fundamental frequency of the brown note? It had to be eliminated or music could turn out terribly messy... :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Saijinn Maas

Excuse my limited grasp of general theory...

But this H note doesn't make too much sense to me.

We have:

A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A

I don't see anywhere an "H" note would fit and make any sense. Unless that constituted a half and whole tone was different back then.

G to G# is a half tone
G# to A is a half tone
G to A is a whole tone
The last A is a perfect octave of the first A
Using the same method of E-F or B-C, IF is was G-H-H#-A using the same interval, then the only way it would make any sense is if the interval from H-A was a half tone rather than a whole tone. But that just sounds redundant to me. Hmm Hence, why they removed it???

Don't mind me

I don't know... I got a headache now. And I don't think I explained it well.  Oh well, interesting nonetheless

--------------------------------------------------------edit

OR

Henny's joke just went right over my head... H note... I am sure someone like HENWRENCH would love that!   LOL 

Satchwood

Hmm, the Holy Hot Horizontal Hush-Hush H note HuH, the Help me Hornbug, I'm Hyperventilating note lol;  aH the secret Henwretch Hooky note...   ...   ...  

Hell i think Henny plays in the Hempified key of H,  the Honored Hoo-doo Hysteria key; plenty of Hooks & Hooter Hoopla to Hypnotize us with  :~)  

Maybe the wHole concept of H was developed for the Henwrench Hippish Hypnotic Hornpipe ?

Humerous Hoot !

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)