dead and gone forever

Started by wiley, August 17, 2009, 06:52:41 PM

Wiley

Just a quick holler at you all!! What started out a good weekend ended up kind of rough.   My Pc was hollering at me that it was full.  So yesterday I decided to clean it up.   Something went horribly wrong.  My cousin said it is a blue screen death.   The hard drive just fried itself.    >:(  He called today and said he will put one in and check on more upgrades for me.  But the really bad part is I lost absolutely everything.  All my songs from here, my lessons.  The transatlantic blues stuff, my pictures, But what hurts the most is everything to do with all of you.  Even my bookmarkfor here.  I couldn't even remember my password (had to look it up)  I guess the only good thing is I will have an almost new Pc when done. It's hard to believe it is all gone.  I can go back through the posts and hopefully get some of it. :'( :'(  Anyway just wanted to say hi,  makes me feel a little better,  But gotta go hubby is hollering for his computer. We don't share very well.!!  ;)
P.J.

SteveG

Ouch, that hurts!!

The data off the dead drive is not recoverable?

launched

Whatever you do, P.J., don't throw your old drive away. Your cousin may be able to get the data off that drive later. And, if it doesn't respond, I have heard of hard drive companies getting the data back for consumers at a reasonable price now.

It's called a clean room recovery. The hard drive is sent to a laboratory with near 100% air purity(Clean room), and the faulty component is repaired. The data is then returned to you via DVD media or another hard drive.

This operation used to be very expensive (Over a thousand dollars), but I heard from someone I work with that major hard drive companies will do it for a couple hundred dollars now. It's really worth looking into so you can get back your priceless files. If you are interested, I could get more info for you.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Tony W

PJ, not to question your cousin, but quite often the hard drives receive a lot of blame when they can be recovered quite easily. Launched is correct about data recovery, it has come down in price tremendously.

Another simple option is to install that drive into a known good computer. Depending on the age of the drive, I'm assuming yours is old, you need to change the jumper options to "cable select"  prior to installing it.

Actually now that I think about it, its not that simple. Most computer nerds should be able to check the drive out in a hurry and recover a lot of data even if there are bad sectors. Too bad I don't have an Iowa trip planned soon. If nothing else, save the drive, I'll be around at Thanksgiving.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Migs

The police seemed to manage to recover all the stuff on one of my HDs that I didn't want them to recover.

I'm sure you will be able to get it back.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Tangled Wires

We had the Blue Screen of Death on our PC about a month ago, and took it into a repair shop and they fixed the PC and we did not lose a thing from our hard drive (and it was'nt that expensive). As others have said, it is worth investigating more. Good luck!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

Dont worry PJ I've got loads of stuff backed up I'll send you some discs of the stuff you want

OsCKilO

Quote from: Migs on August 17, 2009, 10:43:29 PMThe police seemed to manage to recover all the stuff on one of my HDs that I didn't want them to recover.

WTF?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Oldrottenhead

hey wiley ive bin there, lot lots of stuff as a result i now back up everything to dvd
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR