A Daft Question re string tension

Started by The Reverend 48, August 17, 2009, 04:35:04 AM

The Reverend 48

When you leave a guitar for a few days why do the strings tighten I would expect them to slacken ie relax ???

hooper

The changes that I notice seem to be related to temperature which causes the metal in the strings to either expand or contract. So these days, while running A/C with cool drafts of air around the room it would seem logical for the strings to tighten.  To prove the opposite works too you could put a guitar inside a hot parked car for a few hours (which obviously you really don't want to do) but I guarantee that would cause the strings to go slack.   
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

guitarron

tension from the truss rod-it's normal

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Sprocket

Humidity.(probably really rainy over there?)
Humidity isnt such a bad thing though, itll straighten out your neck and your guitar will be more resonant. I hydrate my guitars every couple of months for the above reasons, but Id really like to get a humidifier and hygrometer to do it more consistently.
If youre worried about it get a hygrometer and be certain its a safe level for your instruments.

Heres an article bout hydration...although the author has the opposite problem.
http://www.compareguitarlessons.com/Article-Guitar-Humidifier.html

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

If its atmospheric why do they never slacken?
does anyone else always find the strings tighten
Or have I got rock elves that play while I'm asleep

Sprocket

Quote from: 48 on August 17, 2009, 05:41:39 AMIf its atmospheric why do they never slacken?

Leave it in your hot car for an hour.(not usually recommended)
Im thinking you live in a really humid environment, not unlike mine...although mine tends to go to extremes one way or the other. But with heavy A/C usage, the room my guitars stay in tends to be very dry.   

Although it could be youre really heating up those strings, retuning, playing more...and then as they cool they go sharp. Thats why its best to play a little, then tune.
But I still blame humidity.[countless edits, Im done]

Sprocket

Hey Mike, have you sorted this out or come to any conclusions?

The Reverend 48

Tony W

Quote from: hooper on August 17, 2009, 04:55:20 AMThe changes that I notice seem to be related to temperature which causes the metal in the strings to either expand or contract. So these days, while running A/C with cool drafts of air around the room it would seem logical for the strings to tighten.  To prove the opposite works too you could put a guitar inside a hot parked car for a few hours (which obviously you really don't want to do) but I guarantee that would cause the strings to go slack.  

I've been pondering this for days. My dream acoustic is a Rainsong, (All Graphite) because I like to play in different environments, possibly one day underwater, who knows. I dream of taking a guitar on a several day kayak trip.

With the concept of the strings expanding and contracting.... then even these guitars would lose tuning, negating the concept of a a graphite guitar.

Then again, if I spent over 2k on a guitar, I probably wouldn't take it outside, so what would be the point?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR