Kaossilator: musical instrument or gateway drug?

Started by Blooby, August 15, 2009, 08:02:54 AM

SteveG

Nooo ... dont tempt me, lol! Looks like a lot of fun tho...

mr2kewl

"resistance is futile"
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Ferryman

Quote from: Blooby on August 15, 2009, 09:10:56 AM*Revision: I just found this video.

Blooby

I just got back from staying with my guitarist friend who was in my old university band. He has made the same mod to a Squier Jagmaster, it is truly amazing. He also has a Roland guitar synth and is a stunning guitarist, so I have been blown away by his guitar playing and amazing sounds over the weekend. He also builds his own amps and effects boxes, a very clever guy.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: Blooby on August 15, 2009, 08:02:54 AMThankfully, I usually use it for a specific purpose such as an unusual solo sound, but if I pick it up as a toy, I drop into a vortex and lose time.  I find using one akin to reading a good book: "Oh, I'll just read one more chapter," and before you know it, you are dragging ass the next day.

Not that this post below is by any means great in any way (I think part of the fun in it is how disposable the music is.  Once you turn the unit off...poof!), but anybody with decent time could create a loop like this within hours of owning one.  And I don't say that as a slight to anybody who has posted here with a Kaossilator because they use the device to great effect.  I'm amazed how inventive people are with the little yellow box.

The example was all real time.
    :01 -Started playing drum sound and set a loop by pressing a button
    :10 -Set arpeggiator and switched sounds for bass, set another loop
    :55 -Switched sounds for chords, held chord and set a loop
  1:18 -Switched to flute sound
  2:02  -Removed arpeggiater and switched to synth, became Rick Wakeman briefly

Great example of what you can do with this thing. For me it's the punk ideal - if you have inspiration, you can create something new and exciting. Also true to the punk ideal it should be disposable. Lack of technical ability does not have to hold you back. But the challenge is making it sound different, because there are a limited number of useful noises so you can end up like all the other Kaossilatorists.

But I think it is fun and relaxing just to have a noodle on that thing. Great fun to play live as well - I used one in a small live musical event I did and no-one knew what the heck I was up to.

So feed your addiction!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Quote from: Blooby on August 16, 2009, 06:16:36 AM
Quote from: launched on August 15, 2009, 10:41:39 AMHey, that photo looks like my friend Pat - He stole everybody's girlfriend in high school. I hate him...

The guy smiling or the little dude who stayed in the sun too long?

I would love to say it was the little dude, but unfortunately it was the Glee Club Kid. Did I say that I hated him?...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

Gear(Geir?) Acquisition Syndrome - I just found out myself about the term recently.

Edit: You beat me to it Steve!! :D :D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover