Kaossilator: musical instrument or gateway drug?

Started by Blooby, August 15, 2009, 08:02:54 AM

Blooby

Crack Baby
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Ferryman, madrab, bluesberry, mr2cool, myself and others have all jumped on the Kaossilator bandwagon, but nobody has addressed how it is so addictive.  Oh sure, there have been passing comments, but nobody has truly spoken of the inherent dangers of Kaossilator looping (like plugging into the 1/8" input on the front of a car stereo).

Thankfully, I usually use it for a specific purpose such as an unusual solo sound, but if I pick it up as a toy, I drop into a vortex and lose time.  I find using one akin to reading a good book: "Oh, I'll just read one more chapter," and before you know it, you are dragging ass the next day.

Not that this post below is great in any way (I think part of the fun in it is how disposable the music is.  Once you turn the unit off...poof!), but anybody with decent time could create a loop like this within hours of owning one.  And I don't say that as a slight to anybody who has posted here with a Kaossilator because they use the device to great effect.  I'm amazed how inventive people are with the little yellow box.

The example was all real time.
    :01 -Started playing drum sound and set a loop by pressing a button
    :10 -Set arpeggiator and switched sounds for bass, set another loop
    :55 -Switched sounds for chords, held chord and set a loop
  1:18 -Switched to flute sound
  2:02  -Removed arpeggiater and switched to synth, became Rick Wakeman briefly

Any odd lulls (especially when the keyboard pad is being set) are caused by my turtle-slow switching of sounds/settings or creating a loop, which requires you to hold a button for up to eight bars.

I post this not as a song but of an example of live looping with the Kaossilator and how it can be addictive.  Now get this thing the hell away from me (for now) as I am getting "George Jetson Finger."

Blooby

OsCKilO

"Crack Baby".....

Lol!!

It is crazy that this little thing can do this...........

It can get worse......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8hADY5dzUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYJlCZy4HWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_pK80XuGNA
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Blooby

Quote from: osckilo on August 15, 2009, 08:58:25 AM"Crack Baby".....Lol!!

It can get worse......

You know, I looked at that thing as a possible down-the-road g.a.s. purchase, but I didn't know how I could exploit it for music that I like to make.  Maybe I don't know enough about it.

I'm sort of intrigued with the mini-Kaoss pad, but I don't know how I'd use it without an effects loop in my recorder.  I only have so many hands.

*Revision: I just found this video.

Blooby

OsCKilO

People in Japan take this Kaoss stuff to another level...

The pad seems to do a hell of a lot........

The drums are awesome..... worth it just for them.....

I'm feeling tempted Blooby.....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Blooby

Quote from: osckilo on August 15, 2009, 09:29:14 AMI'm feeling tempted Blooby.....

The responsible thing for me to say would be something like, "In these times of economic uncertainty, it would be prudent to exercise caution with matters of a financial nature."

But...

Since a large aspect of G.A.S. is the vicarious thrill of seeing others spend money frivolously on musical items, I'll counter with "%uck it!  Go for it!  We're behind you 100 percent!"

Blooby

launched

I do like these things - cool arrangement, by the way! Like I've said before, you guys should do a collab in the form of a techno Kaossilaoor orchestra...

Wish I could find the YouTube clip where somebody Frankensteined one, strapped it to a board with all his other pedals then used it in conjunction with his guitar - He played the Kaossilator with his Toe.

Just go ahead and buy one Tharek!! :D

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

"Just Buy one...."

Lol.... ;D

You guys are like Korg Drug dealers ;) ;D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

That's a cool idea - They do make USB touchpads, tablets. Possible somebody has written a sequencer app for it...

Hey, that photo looks like my friend Pat - He stole everybody's girlfriend in high school. I hate him...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Blooby

Quote from: launched on August 15, 2009, 10:41:39 AMHey, that photo looks like my friend Pat - He stole everybody's girlfriend in high school. I hate him...

The guy smiling or the little dude who stayed in the sun too long?