Headphone advice

Started by Blooby, August 14, 2009, 07:49:28 AM

Sprocket

Mine came with a cloth covered chord, bout 6 feet of it, Ive got a velcro tie keeping it untangled and at a manageable length. It also came with a 10 foot extension cable also covered in cloth...Ive never needed that much distance with headphones, but the extension sure comes in handy with the Sony mic. ;)

launched

Wireless headphones would be the answer, but not knowing enough about the quality makes it a scary purchase. It will be cords for me for a while...

Extra cord length is mandatory for living room jamming, though. A friend of mine has a little jam room that I play in from time to time, and the electronics are 10-12' away from the musicians. The loser that gets the coiled cord is always in agony. I suppose extension cords might be in order, but a six foot guy is going to need almost 20 feet of cord to make it comfortable. I wonder how much signal loss is from that setup...

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Blooby

I couldn't believe the url of this first site.  I was almost afraid to click on it.

http://www.goodcans.com/

http://songwriter101.com/articles/13471_0_6_0_M/

Blooby

launched

Looks like Mr. Goodcan is a fan of Grados. I spent a lot of time on that site, and it appears that these headphones might be something worth looking into. Only 65 bucks for a product that is claimed to rival $200 brands of similar design. Grados are not the most comfortable, but that might not be a problem for some (Including me). I hate wearing headphones for more 45 minutes to a whack before a break - I feel disoriented if I leave them on longer.

They are probably not good for jamming, because they don't completely cover the ear. Sony makes better isolation headphones from what I'm reading.

I'm having fun, but Saturday's gone with the wind...  :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

cuthbert

Grado SR60s are great - as long as you don't mind a little bleed-through.

Whenever I don't use a microphone, it's Grado for me.  ;D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

launched

Quote from: cuthbert on August 15, 2009, 05:27:38 PMGrado SR60s are great - as long as you don't mind a little bleed-through.

Whenever I don't use a microphone, it's Grado for me.  ;D

That's a good subject within itself. I get bleed-through, but it's so faint. And I use cheap walkman style Sony MDR-G52's for recording. But I sing to a faint mono-track usually for the first take, and then with doubletrack and harmony takes I just sing along with the previous vocal tracks. It seems like the drums are the menace for the most part.

Thoughts, anyone?

Mark

Oh, PS - I'm seriously thinking about getting some Grados...
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

just bought a pair of these for £20 .......

Seem o.k but the bass is a bit much...

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

These ones caught my eye though.....

Can think why....... ::)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Geir

Now those I want!!!!!

.... I mean the headphones   ::)  ::)..... you got that? right ?

???
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Blooby

Quote from: osckilo on August 22, 2009, 04:07:28 PMThese ones caught my eye though.....

Can think why....... ::)

I'm confused.  How would she listen?  Wouldn't it all just sound like, "Wubba, wubba, wubba?"

Blooby