Headphone advice

Started by Blooby, August 14, 2009, 07:49:28 AM

Blooby

Launched and his wicked-cool avatar asked about headphones, and I thought it warranted a thread.  I know just about anything will work to some degree, but I play quite a bit with other musicians and am thinking about going through a couple headphone distribution amps.  So at least in my case, I would need closed phones.

Any input for Launched and myself?

Thanks in advance.

Blooby

cuthbert

I just got a new set of Shure SHR440 headphones because my Grado SR60s were bleeding into the mix.

So far, I like them. They are a bit heavier than my Grados, but also much less bleed-through. Sound quality may be a little better?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Flash Harry

Sony MDR-V500 DJ Headphones. I like mine. Comfy, quite light and you can rotate them and fold them and - they're just a good pair of usefull cans.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Sprocket

I searched, read reviews, considered forum recommendations(I did a search) and even scrutinized specs. I ended up with a set of discontinued Sony's...you can stiff find stuff even if its discontinued at a good price. Anyways I got a set of Sony MDR-XD400. Theyre birthcontrol headphones, meaning: you aint getting any booty if your ol lady sees you wearing them...but you might not mind, cause they feel and sound so good.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=sony+mdr+xd400&cid=1506093717132575380&sa=title#p

But I also saw a set of Sony's for $25 that were my next pick, and have suggested them to other MBR users since...MDR XD200
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sony+mdr&hl=en&cid=6715517324506184788&sa=title#p

If youre looking at specs, you want something with a good low frequency response something below 10hz, preferable around the 5hz range and then a good high frequency as well, but I usually care less about that side.

SteveG

I did have a pair I bought for about a fiver, cheap and nasty, but totally flat response ... great for mastering. Sadly they fell apart and I now have a Phillips pair that boost the bass too much :(

guitarron

AKG k240-best hunderd bucks i ever spent-had them about 15-20 years now-still work great and dont color the sound too much at all

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Davo

Quote from: Sprocket on August 14, 2009, 04:04:29 PMI searched, read reviews, considered forum recommendations(I did a search) and even scrutinized specs. I ended up with a set of discontinued Sony's...you can stiff find stuff even if its discontinued at a good price. Anyways I got a set of Sony MDR-XD400. Theyre birthcontrol headphones, meaning: you aint getting any booty if your ol lady sees you wearing them...but you might not mind, cause they feel and sound so good.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=sony+mdr+xd400&cid=1506093717132575380&sa=title#p

But I also saw a set of Sony's for $25 that were my next pick, and have suggested them to other MBR users since...MDR XD200
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sony+mdr&hl=en&cid=6715517324506184788&sa=title#p

If youre looking at specs, you want something with a good low frequency response something below 10hz, preferable around the 5hz range and then a good high frequency as well, but I usually care less about that side.

I have some Audio-technicas but the sony set is supposed to be the best for the money.

Good headphones + MBR = Win.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

launched

Quote from: SteveG on August 14, 2009, 06:47:29 PMI did have a pair I bought for about a fiver, cheap and nasty, but totally flat response ... great for mastering. Sadly they fell apart and I now have a Phillips pair that boost the bass too much :(

That's an interesting point - I heard somewhere that cheap headphones with poor dynamic range are better for mastering. I don't know what I'm talking about...

Quote from: Davo on August 15, 2009, 03:40:40 AMI have some Audio-technicas but the sony set is supposed to be the best for the money.

Good headphones + MBR = Win.

I tried some Audio Technicas at a music store, and they sounded awesome! Around $90, and the cord was straight, not coiled.

Coiled cords suck...

I want to try some Sony's next.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on August 15, 2009, 03:53:23 AMCoiled cords suck...

All headphone cords suck. I'd like to get some wireless headphones. The trouble is, they're very expensive and the sound quality isn't as good as a cheap pair of wired headphones. I'm hoping that somebody will make some good-sounding wireless headphones for a reasonable price someday.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveG

Mine have a real long cord, about 5M. When I realised I thought it would be useful, but every other time I use them I have to spend 5 mins untangling the damm thing. Shorter cord next time .... something to bear in mind.